Water intake hose tear

NewerBoater

Cadet
Motoring home after a day on the water and saw the bilge trigger on. Once at the dock started getting an alarm. Open the hatch and had a sizable leak in the hose. Can anyone suggest why this could happen? Anything I should check while replacing the hose? See photo. Thanks!

2005 5.0gxi 130 hrs.

Attachments

• E2B76E64-FF24-4CA0-AA9F-02B7CF3C931B.jpeg
    E2B76E64-FF24-4CA0-AA9F-02B7CF3C931B.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d be strongly suspecting that who ever winterised it used a screwdriver to force the often stuck solid hose off to drain it. The screwdriver slipped and did this.
I take it back if it was you that winterised and isn’t the case...haha.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is the circulating pump to "T" stat hose, I'd go along with Scott Danforth, Check the "T" stat housing outlet nipples are not rusted up and that the brass manifold elbows are clear of debris, looks like something has blocked the water flow, as the should be very little pressure in that area.
What other work has been done on the engine/outdrive recently?

NewerBoater

Cadet
Appreciate the response. Prior owner ripped up an impeller, so we had a 100 service done at a shop last spring and seemed to check out, no additional fragments found. When taking it out of the slip in December (in CA) followed a basic winterizing (drained all water) how-to. Been back on the water several times this year without noticing any problems. Will investigate the areas you called out but concerned I should visit a mechanic.