X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrevorStott
    started a topic Volvo penta aq131d power tilt not working

Volvo penta aq131d power tilt not working

As I'm putting the boat back together I'm finding issues. Right now the power tilt isn't working. When I hit the switch I hear a click back there but no motor or movement. Fuses look fine. Wiring looks fine. No loose wires disconnected. Worked in the fall when we were putting it away. Any ideas on what to check?

• dennis461
    replied
    You are the man!

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    Ok . I wouldn't have found this on my own but with a friend that knows a little more than I do about relays stopped in and we were able to determine that both relays are good as well as the stop limit was also good.

Further testing revealed that we were only getting 8v at the relays. Battery was 12v, but started tracing back. Found that the 40a fuse was where it started. Sanded the ends on the fuse holder lightly and voila 12v all the way through and the power tilt now works as expected.

Thanks, hope this helps others.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    Okay, now I see the real relays and stop limit. They don't seem to come out but I'll do some testing this afternoon as well

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    Here are some more pictures, I pulled what I believe are the relays out. They look hardwired and in good condition. Not sure if that matters or not.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    So if I just get 2 new relays I should be good? I went back and can see how they pull out. The wires all look solid. I have no up or down so switching them won't help. I just hear a click with no further action or noise.

Leave a comment:

• dennis461
    replied
    Two relays and a limit switch in there. The relays are upside down, the wires slip onto the terminals. I would make sure all external connections are good first. Including the console switch for up-down. I need to find my old relay info, these are slightly smaller than the ones found in automobiles.

Go to this thread, my post #18 shows what I used in the past.
    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...lt-relay/page2
    Last edited by dennis461; July 7th, 2019, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    Here's some pictures of the top electrical. As I said the motor is fine and I can hot wire it up and down but that's rather complicated to do when you need to.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    I'll take a picture of it tomorrow on and off for referenc .

Leave a comment:

• dennis461
    replied
    Yes, it's a tight fit in there. Do you have the black contoured box?

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    I took the cover off and it looks pretty complex in there. I can't easily identify a relay, looks like just a bunch of wires. I may have to take it to someone. This is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• QBhoy
    replied
    Change over the relays and see if it does the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    Is there a diagram or picture somewhere I can refer to? I did get the stern drive up by hot wiring the motor and the stern drive indicator light recognizes that it's up which is good i guess. Can't use it this way though.

Leave a comment:

• kenny nunez
    replied
    A good chance that one of the relays under the plastic cover is in need of replacement. Also if the cover is off be sure that the limit switch on the top of the tilt unit is connected and seated.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorStott
    replied
    Battery is good, motor turns over without issue and I checked the fuse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X