Volvo penta 430a engine removal help (engine mounts)

I have a 1993 wellcraft excel 20ft boat with a (I believe) a 1991 Volvo penta 430a 6cyl engine . It has a disgusting knock in the engine with a bit of a squeak to it and looks like the crank is moving with the knock , also found a bit of water in the oil,

I'm pulling this engine out , the question is is there more than motor mounts on the engine holding it in , I looked every where around the bell housing and cant seem to find anything else holding it in , I did pull out the out drive and shaft and such .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depending on teh drive

most likely you have an AQ series drive

start with reading the factory manual.

you need to remove the 6 bolts holding the retaining ring on the PDS donut seals.

pull the 6 bolts, thread 3 of them into the threaded holes, and tighten until the ring pops off

however prior to removing the motor, I would run it without the drive to make sure you are not chasing drive related or u-joint related or PDS related issues.

So I inspected things further and definatly the bearing in the bel housing area (gimble bearing?) Is completely shot the shaft in there is flopping around like crazy , do you think that could cause all the noise and sound like a bad crank? It seems to run smooth with that noise? I'm trying to send a pic but saying it's too large

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
duh....

the PDS shaft is what supports the u-joints. without the bearing, the u-joints are slamming around in your transom shield and steering helmet beating the other parts of your boat to death.

if one bearing is bad, the seals and the other are bad. if you dont have the grease fitting, google PDS shaft grease mod and drill and tap for the grease fitting

here is a writeup on changing the PDS bearings https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...s-engines-outdrives/10343318-pds-shaft-issues

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh jeez. We maybe need to go easy on guys coming for some advice.
That said. You’ve done the right thing and asked the guys on here who are certainly amongst the most experienced in the world. Especially the guys above.
Start with the simple things as suggested

Well so far I got more advice in one post then I found on the whole internet ! Thanks I really appreciate it and I think I got it figured out now . I did a trade for this boat and knew there had to be work done to the engine and stuff. But again thanks for all the info !!!!