High Speed Mode

danbrob

Cadet
Hello Forum, I have 2008 Four Winns H200 with a 5.0l Gxi Volvo Penta sterndrive. I have just picked it from my mechanic who changed the plugs, point and distributor cap. When I ran the boat I noticed two issues immediately.
1 - max. rpm is 4000. According to the specs it should be around 5000. This is where it was before I put the boat away.
2 - the temperature gauge works initially on plane but when I start cruising it goes to zero and then back up when I get up on plane. Would this be the thermostat??

Any guidance on #1 and confirmation on #2 would be greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
No 1 can be many things, but with the distributor cap (doesn't have points, but does have a rotor) just being replaced, I hope he didn't try to set timing? What plugs were used to replace?

No 2 Look for a loose connection on the temp sender which is on the thermostat housing

danbrob

Cadet
Thank you for getting back to me. As far as I know the plugs replaced were OEM. Wrt the thermostat I will check for a loose connection and get back to this forum.

Regards,

alldodge

Staff member
You should have a flat distributor cap, and if correct, suggest replacing it and the rotor, they are known for going bad even when looking great. If it doesn't fix the issue, keep it when it does happen for real

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
AD has a real point here. Greatest of respect to your mechanic but does he know these engines and what they require ? Your GXI engine is of a fairly recent breed of gm engine that occasionally the “old fella” VP and merc mechanics don’t quite know a lot about.
As said...there are no points for sure....
the plugs aren’t your usual standard and cheap as chips BR6FS plugs. They are iridium or at the least platinum. The diz cap is a spider crab looking thing too that’s well known for its failure. If you trust your guy 100%...then all good but just thought I’d mention.

danbrob

Cadet
Folks, sorry for the delay getting back to this forum. I was only able to get the boat this past weekend.

The issue with the engine was a injector that apparently was knocked loose when the spark plugs and wires were replaced. Kinda of ironic since the mechanic told me he tested the boat in the water.

I am still chasing the temperature gauge and will get back to this forum when there is a resolution.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Regards,