Troubles with ignition

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a '02 VP 4.3 GL, new battery this year. First run this season I had a couple times where I went to restart and it acted like I had a dead battery.

You know that panic look you give your boat mates when it doesn't start and you search for passersby or what we're going to use for oars or how far the marina is?

Try again after a deep breath and starts without any pomp and circumstance. :noidea:

Last run of the season last year, it did the same thing. Battery was pushing 8 years old and while I did trickle charge periodically during off-season, I thought it was just a good time to replace the battery.

Now I'm wondering if there is something else that I'm missing... alternator? Points? Ignition coil? Ignition switch? I changed the points cap and plugs about 3 years ago. Terminals are bright and clean. Haven't had any issues until these two instances since then.

Thanks for your thought on helping me troubleshoot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you talking a slow crank, or a click when you turn to the start position

start by cleaning all the connections between the battery, starter, block and pilot relay

have the battery tested, new doesn't equal good.

you are describing a bad connection or a bad battery, and depending on the type of bad connection, you will either get a click, or a slow crank

regarding your other questions
  • you dont have points
  • you can remove an alternator and the motor would still start. the only way it could be the alternator is if the internal diode pack fails and shorts your battery to ground, killing your battery. this is usually followed by smoke from the alternator.
  • the fact it runs means its not your ignition coil, coils have nothing to do with cranking
  • ignition switches either work or dont work.

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the help Scott. It's a click. Not a slow chugging crank.

The part I thought were points, is the plastic cap with metal "pins" facing down which receive contact from a coil looking thing that I believed to be part of the ignition.

I will have the battery tested as the first, easiest diagnosis. Does the clarification of "click" help deduce further?

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Battery is good, had it tested. Full charge and at the correct amperage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The click is from a bad connection in the battery cables somewhere

clean all connections to a shiny gleaming surface. Clean enough. Your mom would eat off them

Start at the battery, and starting with the lugs, clean them with 150 grit sand paper

Clean the battery cable terminals (both ends) with 150 grit sand paper

if your battery terminals have wing nuts, throw them away. Use nuts and a wrench

If the battery cable insullation has any lumps in it, or the cable is green, replace it

Clean the ground cable connection at the block with 150 grit sand paper

Wire brush the B terminal on the starter

Clean the starter to block mounting surface with 150 grit sand paper

Clean the connections on sthe starter pilot relay

Make all the connections, and torque them

Once all the connections have been cleaned, seal with marine electrical varnish