VP Trim sending unit connector replacement

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my old sender out and the new one in. How is everyone swapping out the new leads into the rubber connector? the book shows special tools used to push them in and out but i cannot find those tools anywhere. Just wondering if anyone has a "trick" to getting the new leads into the rubber connector inside the boat.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
File down a bit of round steel of even a 3/16" bolt to give you a 1/16" dia tip 1/2" long and just push them out.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Others have used the rounded handle end of one of those small metal files you can get at Harbor Freight.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
use rubbing alcohol as a lubricant. it really helps.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking at the manual to install the new sending unit. It indicates that I need to check the ohms when down. I am not sure what the reading means? So in the manual the Plus and minus are on top of each other but for 11+_1 does that mean from 10 to 12 or 11.1?

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fetch

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
It means 10 to 12 ohms
Once everything is back together. Use the trim gauge to fine tune it. All trim gauges are just a little bit different.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It means 10 to 12 ohms
Once everything is back together. Use the trim gauge to fine tune it. All trim gauges are just a little bit different.

That's the way I've always done it

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking of just eliminating that black plug all together. I may just properly butt splice them. I have 3 wires from the sender and only 2 wires on the engine side. How should I wire them? I have analog guages.