Volvo penta 5.0 not pulling water from the outdrive. New impeller installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

natsukau

Cadet
I just got a 03 four winds from a friend that hasn't ran in 7 yrs. It has a 5.0 volvo and a volvo sx outdrive. After replacing a bad fuel pump it fired right up and i decided to do some regular maintenance. Oil change, gear oil change, water fuel separator, Thermostat and impeller. I have replaced many impellers I'm my other boats but they have all been mercruiser. How difficult could this be? I got a rebuild kit and since i was going to take it apart anyway i might as well do the bearing as well. all went flawless. Fired it up with the ear muffs and noticed no water getting sucked into the engine. I shut down the motor and connected the hose to the engine washout port in the engine compartment near the water pump. All works fine. Engine comes up to temp before the thermostat opens and keeps the engine cool. Ran it out side the house for 20 min and all is well. I figured it may need to be in the water to prime the pump. Dropped the boat in the water and within 5 min boat was running over the normal operating temps so I shut it down and pulled it out of the water. When i got home i hooked up the muffs and another hose to the washout to be safe. I figured maybe I have a air lock problem. I fired up the muffs and the hose on the washout and started the motor. It ran great and stayed cool. I turned off the hose connected to the washout and the water stopped coming out of the exhaust and the outdrive, Turned on the washout hose and all is well. No priming problem. Maybe i have a vacuum leak from the heat exchanger to the outdrive. I inspected all the hoses from the outdrive to the pump and they look great. water will run in reverse with the wash down hose on without any leaks. In summary I am not getting water from the muffs to the heat exchanger. water flows fine through the system if I hook the hose directly to the pump through to the Washout. I am out of ideas and my kids are freaking out because we are supposed to go camping on tuesday.

Does anyone have any ideas please help.

natsukau

Cadet
yes, in on the top and out on the bottom. It seems like it doesn't have enough suction to pull the water on its own. Can the impeller be put in upside-down? There are no leaks so I can't figure out y I'm not getting any suction

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When you replaced the bearing I assume you fitted the new seal the correct way round.You also dug out the old "O" ring seal on the body and fitted a new one. Did you check the dimensions of the new impeller with the old one?
Next things to check are all the hoses going back to the transom are tight including the ones on the power steering oil cooler.
Beyond that we are getting into the pulling of the outdrive to check the plastic nipple and the shaped "O"ring.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We had one at the shop a few years ago. tried everything, even put a clear hose on to look for bubbles. Could not get that thing to pull water. Even replaces the seals in the pump. No go. The pump housing looked perfect inside. A new pump and now it works perfectly.

natsukau

Cadet
So I took it to my local shop and they were able to diagnose a bad new impeller. Never buy generic boat parts. Put in a sierra pump and it worked fine. WTH. Thank you for your help

klkelly221

Recruit
So I took it to my local shop and they were able to diagnose a bad new impeller. Never buy generic boat parts. Put in a sierra pump and it worked fine. WTH. Thank you for your help
I have a 2005 volvo penta 3.0 glp-c, sx-m. Doing the same thing. I also bought an after market pump from amazon. I guess I'll be pulling it off tomorrow and order a new one.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have a 2005 volvo penta 3.0 glp-c, sx-m. Doing the same thing. I also bought an after market pump from amazon. I guess I'll be pulling it off tomorrow and order a new one.
Welcome to the forum klkelly221. Please start your own thread, you'll get better exposure.
Also, please read the forum rules. This issue falls under #12.....

Thanks,
Musky

Status
Not open for further replies.