2000 volvo 5.7 gx steering hard to the right

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
HI GUYS, im pretty certain i know the answer but wanted a second opinion. i have this boat that the p/s was not working at all, and the fluid was contaminated badly. i replaced the pump and flushed the lines. now the boat steers easier than before to the right but have to struggle to turn it to the left. it is easier to turn when the engine is off. i disconnected, unscrewed ,the steering cable (actually before replacing the pump) on the steering is fine, so, after the pump replacement, i removed the pin from the steerng cable to actuator. the cable again is fine. interestingly the actuator pushed out, fully extending the arm, which would in fact turn the boat right. i know how the mercruisers work and the actuator looks like it is in 2 pieces and the movement of the piece connected to the cable is what actuates the assist. there is a 1/4" space betwen them and when i try to manipulate it to open it up further, it will not budge.. so, ???
bad actuator, right??

alldodge

Staff member
Steering to the right would be easier because the prop is spinning that direction, and hard to left because your pulling against the prop.

Is the slot straight up/down as in pic "d" with wrench on it

Steering Ram.jpg

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
the boats not in the water. and yes . i guess i should have lead with that