Volvo gxice 5.0 dps-b drive goes down but not up

D_Nyholm

Cadet
Hello,
just put my boat in the water and I'm having trouble with the starboard drive. The EVC says power trim failure and wont allow starting the engine without an override. The drive tilts down all the way but I am unable to get it back up. The evc doesnt seem to know where the drive is and the trim gauge shows full up even though it is down.
I have swapped the relays from my working trim to this one and the same problem persists. I am not sure where to go from here.
the tilt function on the throttle controls will work when pressing down (drive is already fully down), but nothing happens when pressing up. When i hit the trim button, it works for down as well but not up (this button i assume controls both drives while running for trim/attitude adjustment).

Are there fuses I can check that I'm not sure where they are at? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Edit: engine is a 2012 5.0 GXIce S/N A204006 DPS-B drive

Last edited:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

The serial number you you posted is for the drive. This drive hasn’t been registered to a boat or owner. Because of this I’m not able to access the “build sheet” for your boat and determine what exact EVC you have.

Please contact your dealer or Volvo Penta and get this registered in your name. Maybe if you post a engine serial number I can look into this further.

At this point, the only advice I can give is the check the ohms reading on the trim sender between the black wire and the brown/black wire. Should read 10-12 ohms.