2012 5.7 gi dipstick issues

Lonelydriver

Recruit
Hey guys, new to boating and new owner of a 1978 skipjack powered by a 2012 5.7 gi 300 hp. So when I first got it, the oil level was waaaay up the dip stick,
The Blue line is where it should be, the Red mark is where it was at.

hzHs9HCznU1hbCpuZ3iFjt_gGchyGhwwX9ip9GvvjdiT5xDFplBOHvtww3gd8As6zl-Ev4X0gNmMqIKU7H9njPUfyRp8N9...png

So I drained the oil via the dip stick ( the dipstick is the type that goes into the bottom of the oil pan. and is threaded at the top for an oil pump.)

After letting the oil sit, the oil level on the dip stick is still quite a bit over the normal operating zone.

So upon further inspection, the dipstick goes into the oil pan but has this horizontal section, and i'm wondering how a dipstick could get an accurate reading because of that horizontal orientation of the tube entering the oil pan. Seems like this is why i'm getting such high readings?
LgxE_JzRdwLvOvU1NH5aGrD6d0axbwSSe0IMwvpb91V0UDDZvr4x1YwKu3P0NFNvj5x6MaQY3PQipA6XhC3F5a3pA0XuL1...jpg

I was wondering maybe my dipstick is the wrong one and too long?

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what could be causing such high readings on the dipstick?

At this point I'm thinking about pouring 5 quarts in, let the oil settle, and making a NEW mark on the dipstick and using that as a reference point, but it's a bit disconcerting not being able to check the oil accurately....

any help would be appreciated!!

alldodge

Staff member
Compare the length of the dipstick to the length of the tube down to where it bends at the pan

Lonelydriver

Recruit
Dipstick definitely looks long to me in comparison to the bend in tube. Got some more info,

it's not a 2012, looks like it's a 2007 gxi,

Engine family 7vpam05.7gxi. Would anyone happen to know where I can get the proper dipstick information for this engine?