Overfilled VP 5.0L by a quart - bad?

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Changed my oil yesterday on my VP 5.0L, and was able to pump our 4 qts used oil via dipstick, and I'm guessing .5 qt was in the oil filter - used oil was warmed up before removal.

I have the vacuum type oil remover that I have marked with actual quart lines by adding individual quarts of water, so I'm pretty confident of actual volume removed.

I then refilled with 4qts of new oil, and after running for 5 mins and settling for 1 min, dipstick was showing I needed another quart, which I then added. So - total removed was 4.5 qts and total added was 5.0 qts.

About a hour later with engine off, I checked oil level at dipstick one more time before I left, and it is showing I would guess one 1 quart above the "safe" marks.

[Q] Should I suck out a quart and get back into the "safe" mark zone, or am I ok and just let the oil reduce over time.

John

alldodge

Staff member
[Q] Should I suck out a quart and get back into the "safe" mark zone,

No, the oil in the remote oil filter lines drained back into the motor, and yes if its over full
Run the motor again and double check after shutting off for about 5 minutes

or am I ok and just let the oil reduce over time.

No, over full is worst then below ADD

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the dipstick design, there is a quirk in some of these that will keep you guessing until you figure it out...
IF the dipstick tube goes from the top down to the bottom of the oil pan, keep in mind that in order for it to read properly, the oil level in the tube must rise up from the pan, to the correct level. So what I found with my Cobra (and many Volvos use the same set up, the dipstick tube goes to the bottom of the pan) what happens is this:
You run the engine, check it right after shutting it down, it reads low. BUT if you take at the stick and allow the air pressure in the tube to equalize, check it again and its normal.
You let the engine sit over night, check it before running, it reads high. BUT, if you leave the stick out for a few min, let the pressure equalize, it reads correct.
What I think is happening is with a hot engine, the air in the dipstick tube is hot, slightly under pressure, and keeps the oil from climbing up the tube. BUT you pull out the stick and wait a min, that allows it to equalize. Cold engine, not run, is the opposite...the air contracts in the tube, pulls some extra oil up the tube onto the stick. Pull it out, let it sit a min, then it is correct. Try letting it sit min after you remove the dipstick and see if it reads correct.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I have run into this problem with my 5.7GSI oil changes as well. Took me a few tries to get it right!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I’ve always had trouble getting an accurate reading on my GXI-j. It always reads overfilled when I know specifically that it has the correct amount of oil in it.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks all,

In reading the SELOC VP 3606 manual pg. 2-34 says "... always wait about 5 mins (after shutdown) before checking."

The oil was probably still not settled when I checked it initially, which tricked me into adding an extra qt.

I will re-check while warm, and if reading high, will suck out a qt to get back to between the SAFE marks.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Make sure to pull out the dip stick leave it out for a few minutes! That will allow the oil level in the dipstick tube to equalize.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One thing I noticed - after using a vacuum system to extract used oil via dipstick, the inside of the dipstick gets covered with oil, and you cannot seem to get a clear reading on the dipstick. This only seems to happen after an extraction. So you may need to wait a long time or overnight for the dipstick tube to dry out if this happens to you.

Also, I keep my boat on a dry rack that does not leave the engine perfectly level. ( I check with a hand level on the valve covers set fore and aft). Got to take slightly non-level positioning into account.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I dry rack mine as well. When I do an oil change it is on one of the yards maintenance racks and these are far from level. So, a degree of guess work goes into this until I get the boat into the water where I can get a better idea of the level. I tend to underfill on the rack and add later if not within the safe. More often than not, however, I find it overfilled so have to draw some off.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My problem now is that the oil is so clean, it is difficult to determine the fill level on the dipstick. I think it is good now. Need to run a bit more to get oil so I can see it. Any tricks for reading clean oil on dipstick?

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Usually of you hold the dipstick and place a white cloth or paper towel behind it you should be able to make it stand out enough to read the level!