2017 Volvo Penta inboard check engine light, alarm, reduced RPMWe

Shoroho

Recruit
We have a Volvo Penta 300hp v8 inboard that has low hours (40) on it and are getting a yellow check engine light, alarm, and reduced RPMs. It runs ok when restarted but then alarms again. New to inboard motors. Appreciate any ideas on what’s causing it. Have been waiting 3 weeks for a mechanic to check it.
Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
Need to know what VP motor (model number)?
What kind of alarm, is it steady, beeps, other?

In most cases it will need to scanned for codes.

What maintenance have you done this season and last?

Shoroho

Recruit
We had it winterized and summarized. We also motive the battery is dying between uses. It’s in dry stack. We turn off the main power before storing after each use.
V8-300-CE-H

Attachments

• photo315316.jpg
    photo315316.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 1

Shoroho

Recruit
The beep is a short beep that occurs every minute while in neutral. Today we tried to crank the boat and it was dead. We jumped it, let it run for a while at the dock in neutral. Turned it off and it wouldn’t restart. We just replaced the starting battery and still get the alarm. Even After replacing the starting battery it doesn’t crank reliably. While idling it seems to vibrate

Attachments

• photo315318.jpg
    photo315318.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • photo315321.jpg
    photo315321.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
That's a Power Trim Assit warning (PTA). I would suggest trying to re-calibrate it and see if it goes away. It can also be turned off and trim can be done manually.

Shoroho

Recruit
Thank you. We just tried turning off the power trim assist button on the throttle control. Not sure how to recalibrate it? The boat won’t allow us to go over 3000 rpm

alldodge

Staff member
With it off and your not allowed to go over 3K rpms, this would be a had failure I'm thinking. Re-cal should be in your owners manual, but can also find it online just search "volvo penta power trim asst re-calibration, there is even a you tube vid

Shoroho

Recruit
You’ve been a great help. We haven’t figured out recal yet but when we talked to the boatyard person who takes the boats in and out of dry stack he told us to bring our trim tabs all the way up. Apparently we didn’t do that on a previous run due to not being aware. He said last time the tabs weren’t all the way in and when they put it up the weight rests on the tabs. Not sure at this point if they are damaged? We were able to bring them all the way in.

alldodge

Staff member
I busted mine not retracting them when raised on my boat lift. My guess is yours was damaged but need a more experienced person to have a look