DPS-a Prop shaft

jgerardi

Seaman
I am getting water in my sterndrive oil. I pressurized the unit and found it is leaking where the inner shaft going into the outer shaft. I am trying to disassemble the lower gear unit but i cant get the bearing housing and outer shaft out. I removed the two screws on the top and bottom. I put the shaft puller in place and have tightened it to the point where no matter what i do i can get it (the bolt in the tool) any tighter. This thing hasnt moved a bit. I am following the procedure in the service manual and i am getting nowhere. I did not separate the upper and lower gear housing as i dont plan to do anything other than replace the O-rings.
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Im afraid i am missing something and I dont want to damage the lower gear unit.

jgerardi

Seaman
I have two manuals for this, one is the manual linked in the previous post and one is the Seloc manual. Both are pretty much identical as far as the procedure goes. But again, this simply will not budge. My next option is to heat it up but that can be risky as well. The tool i am using is home made and is pulling the outer shaft perfectly straight back by pressing inward on the inner shaft. I looked at the tool in the previous post here and it is nothing like that. The tool is not my problem, i am guessing it is corrosion. As i said in my first post, i just want to be sure im not missing something.
Unfortunately neither of the manuals is clear regarding separation of the upper and lower case. From all of the illustrations i dont see anything that can be holding it or a need to separate the two sections.