Determining/Selecting Engine Number/Type

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1994 Four Winns Sundowner 215. It has a Volvo/Penta setup; Boat Model number is: 58FACPMDA and Transom Model number is: 3868030.

I am trying to locate the hydraulic lines for the tilt/trim unit. When I go to the Volvo Penta website it lists many SX engines?! (See screenshot below.) Am I looking under the wrong category (SX)? Or is there another website I should be searching to find these hydraulic lines (as well as many other needed parts)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you all can provide.

Happy Boating!

-- Jeff

Attachments

• photo315244.png
    photo315244.png
    5 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
This may help, found cross reference from OMC to Sierra

OMC trim lines.jpg

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There should be a metal tag on the upper portion of your outdrive that has the model designation and the gear ratio. Try to locate that info and see of you can find it in the transmission section. I’ve had troubles of my own navigating that site as well but you can usually find what your looking for.

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, it was a miraculous Sunday here in Northern Virginia: I was finally able to remove the outdrive from my boat!! But not without some cost: I broke off a small piece of the aluminum housing while having to use a cold chisel to pry the outdrive loose. I wasn't able to uncover another, realistic method to accomplish this feat. Plus, there is additional damage from the chiseling.

I'm pretty sure I can repair the damages and get things running again.

I will call this post "closed" at this time, and reopen a new one to continue the saga and to solicit the amazing help and guidance of everyone that has been so gracious to date.

Best boating wishes to all! And, again, I am in your debt for all that you have provided.

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Postscript:

AllDodge, I'm wondering about those OMC numbers in the cross-reference chart you provided; specifically the "38539.." numbers. When I look up my particular boat (58FACPMDA), none of those numbers match up to my boat.

As always, I thank you for your research and input. But, how did you determine that those part numbers were for my boat?

alldodge

Staff member
Didn't determine they are for your boat, just found the list at another place and didn't want to show a competitor here. Its just a cross reference list of Sierra to OMC numbers which you might be able to use to find the part your looking for.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, the 58FACPMDA is the engine, nothing to do with the boat, other than Fourwinns rigged your boat with a ford-based VP combo.

its a 5.8 liter Ford (F) the next letter should be an I for fuel injection or L for Limited (Carbureted). there were no A's..... with Power Steering (P) MD is the year range, and the A at the end is the series number, first year is A, second is B, etc.

the model number should be 58FLPMDA or 58FIPMDA

each VP motor was paired with a specific drive or two.

the transom plate is an OMC/Volvo SX, so the drive is an SX

next, never ever ever take a chisel to anything marine. specifically an outdrive. if the drive was stuck, use the rams to help put some pressure on it.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
both 58FACPMDA and 3868030 come up in Volvo Penta's system
but when I try to look up parts I get the following message.
--------Sorry, selected filtering does not have a corresponding Parts Catalog-------
This leads me to think it's a OMC product not Volvo.

When I go to the BRP parts website I get this number for those hoses
3853825OIL LINE ASSY., Pump to manifold need qty 2

agree "don't use a chisel"
there are better ways, just ask

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
AllDodge, thank you for the clarification - that was what I was hoping to hear!

Scott, I was just trying to follow the "rules for posting" when I included my Boat (should have said, "Engine") and Transom Model numbers. I am familiar with the format of the Engine Model number. I have checked mine several times, because I, too, think the fourth character should be an "I" or an "L," but it is definitely an "A"?? See attached pic. Also, I know that using a chisel was not the best choice. :-( But my hydraulic lines were leaking, so the only other option was to have custom hydraulic lines built to bypass the originals. And, when I looked into that, it was pretty expensive. Bottom Line: I saw some "daylight" coming through the outdrive "seam" and got kind of excited at the possibility that I might actually be able to get the damn thing off!

Perhaps I've condemned my poor boat to "Davey's Locker." But I'm pretty sure there are methods for restoring/repairing aluminum. I have always appreciated your advice and will continue to do so. I guess I kind of got frustrated after weeks of trying to get that outdrive off, and finally seeing some "light at the end of the tunnel" caused me to act irrationally.

Cheers to all!

Attachments

• photo315489.jpg
    photo315489.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1