Need help! Penta A 200B

cjmedley1990

Recruit
Hey new user here! If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I bought a 1976 Fiberform boat a few weeks ago. The boat is in great shape as the previous owner restored it about 90% the only thing he didn't touch was the engine, and I think I'm slowly figuring out why... it's a Volvo Penta A 200 stern drive. The previous owner said the engine was a Chevy 350. However, I can't find anything about this motor online. The letters GM are stamped on the engine but that's it, I can't find a plate or any other stamps anywhere. If anyone knows anything about this engine please let me know.

But my biggest problem is with the carburetor. The previous owner took it apart and left it out in the weather so it's all corroded now. The only thing I've been able to find out about the carburetor is that it's a 2 barrel Carter, and the model number MIGHT be 835318. And this part is obviously discontinued. Does anyone know of a superseded part number or maybe even just an aftermarket carb that could hook up and do just fine?

Thanks in advance.

kenny nunez

Captain
You have a 305. The same engine with a 4 barrel was a 225 hp. There is a company on line that sells rebuilt marine carburetors. A Rochester would be the easiest to locate. You will probably have to re-plumb the fuel line. It may be possible that they also have the Carter also. Just google Rebuilt marine carburetors. There are several.
Another thing to do is to convert the ignition to a Petronics electronic kit. The rotor shaft in the Prestolite distributors tend to build up rust and wear out the rubbing block on the points.

cjmedley1990

Recruit
Hey Kenny thanks for the fast reply. I will start looking into it right now. But how do you know it's a 305? Just curious

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
because all AQ200's were 305's

PM'd you as well.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Slight possibility the original engine has been swapped for a 350 auto based engine maybe ? Just going by the carb and info given by old owner ? Just a thought.