How to convert from a belt driven raw water pump to a crankshaft mounted water pump

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1976 Volvo Penta AQ240A (Ford 351W V8) engine. I would like to replace the water pump but Volvo parts of that vintage are mostly obsolete. I read in a string on this forum about someone with an AQ240A. Someone suggested that he might consider converting to a Sherwood P105 crankshaft mounted raw water pump. For various reasons, mostly, upgrading to a more modern water pump, (easier to find parts) sounds like a great idea but I can't find any info online about how it would mount. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion?

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I guess I'll answer my own question. After a lot more online research and talking with John at inetmarine.com, I found that there are 3 compatible water pumps that should work on the AQ240A. The Sherwood P105, which is the most expensive as it is stainless steel, a model built by Johnson, sorry but I didn't get the model number that is built in Sweden that was in the mid $200 range, made from bronze and the one that I settled on by JMP Pumps. The JMP JPR-CP25UH. It's made of bronze as well and made in South Korea. Inetmarine.com sells them for $185. John told me that the first two have a long track record without any complaints but the JMP Pumps they have only been selling them for 2 years but so far, no complaints. You mount it inside the crankshaft pulley using the 3 bolts that hold the pulley to the crankshaft. The inlet and outlet hoses keep the body of the water pump stationary however you have to manufacture your own bracket to connect it to the engine block in case the impeller seizes up, it will prevent the water pump body from spinning and tearing off both of the hoses. They offer a rubber bushing for another $7.00 that slides over a female threaded nipple on the bottom of the pump that is what you can mount the bracket to. Don't make the mistake of ordering the mounting bracket that is offered at the bottom of the page. It is for the Chevy 350 engine, not the ford. I remounted the original water pump bracket from my belt driven water pump as it provided a place to mount the bracket that is lined up almost perfectly with the mounting nipple. I have a length of clear reinforced tubing between the transom and the water pump that reached the new water pump just fine and I bought another piece of clear tubing to go from the water pump to the thermostat housing, so that I can see if the water is making it all the way. One thing that I needed to do to make more room for my mounting bracket was to cut the pulley down somewhat. As I no longer needed the 2nd belt that was only used to spin the original water pump, I cut off the track for the second belt basically making more room. By the way, this only works if you have a stamped steel pulley on the crank. It will not work with a cast pulley. This will make it a lot less labor intensive when changing the impeller as the new pump provides direct access to the impeller by removing 4 screws right on the face. With the original pump you had to remove the belt, the pulley and the entire water pump to get to the impeller. I haven't done a test run yet as I still have another issue to deal with first but I'll let you all know how it works.

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
Just an update. The new crank mounted water pump works flawlessly and I can change the impeller with a phillips screwdriver. Awesome!

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
The pump is actually a JMP brand JPR-CP 25 UH. but the impeller they sell for it is a Johnson part number 09-812B-1 F6.