Volvo 8.1 GI, diagnostic protocol

jgerardi

Seaman
Would anyone happen to know what protocol a 2007 Volvo 8.1gi uses for the diagnostics? I would like to buy some electronics that i can use to monitor some of the engine functions. As i understand i can do this with a NEMA2000 chart plotter with some other accessories.

Anyone?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't have a good answer for you, just have not done enough research on VP. Appears it is much like Merc inthat it needs a gateway to connect the engine to nema 2000. NEMA 2000 uses a backbone which caries all the info, and the gateway converts nema to VP protocol.

VP does have something called "easyconnect" but this is an app which runs on a tablet of smart phone but does use a tie into nema.

This would take some time to figure out and hope another might know so we can all learn muc
Fun Times maybe

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
If you want to post a serial number. I could try to look into it. Google “Volvo Penta easy connect” to see if you think it will do what you’re looking for. This came out after I retired so I haven’t installed one and have no experience with it. But I’m guessing you can buy it here on Iboats. The NMEA gateways had some problems working for some years (I don’t remember what years) and we quit installing them after EVC came out.