Volvo penta 7.4gi power steering ram hose removal

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ordered a replacement hose, since there was a small crack/leak on the hose which goes from the ram to the power steering pump. Apparently the hose clamps on the exhaust riser caused this and was a design flaw by VP. I will rotate them when I head back down to replace, but wanted to make sure I had the correct size wrenches for the nuts on the power steering hose ends.

Could not find anywhere on the size(s) I need, anyone know? A local mechanic thought they were 9/16".....

Attachments

• vp.PNG
    vp.PNG
    453.6 KB · Views: 1
  • VP2.PNG
    VP2.PNG
    720.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
3/8" flare nut is 5/8" hex

you should have a complete set of tubing wrenches with you, both metric and imperial.

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
3/8" flare nut is 5/8" hex

you should have a complete set of tubing wrenches with you, both metric and imperial.

Thanks for quick response. Is this the same size on opposite end of hose which attaches to rear of power steering pump?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
should be, however that is why I suggest a complete set of wrenches

for example, my '88 VP drive has 5/8 (3/8 inverted SAE flare) on one end of the hose and a M16 DIN connection on the other end.

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
should be, however that is why I suggest a complete set of wrenches

for example, my '88 VP drive has 5/8 (3/8 inverted SAE flare) on one end of the hose and a M16 DIN connection on the other end.

Thanks again. Well had the right tools, but ran into the "wrong" hose issue. I was mislead by a local mechanic... from the original picture I posted, I am looking for that hose part number. It's the larger of the two elbows going into the ram. The p/n for the hose I have is the smaller of the two, 3853967.

About to search, but if someone knows, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the ram to cooler is a low pressure hose. you could use 3/8" fuel line if needed.

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This hose also has the right angle steel fitting on the end that connects to the ram, opposite end just uses a hose clamp to connect to cooler.

Local marina has replacement for $97, guess I'll bite unless there is another solution?

To access the cooler, it's on port side of engine and mounted horizontally. May be a tough reach since it's on the lower half. Any recommendations or parts that are easily to remove to make cooler more accessible?

Patrick

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
oof, tough when I do not have an engine hoist. Am I fearing taking this into the boat mechanic?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
tr removing the exaust dump or elbow for better access, sometimes exaust manifolds must be removed for better access

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Exhaust elbow/riser is on the starboard side of engine. Let me see if I can find some info on the port side that may make this easier and avoid removing engine.

wmubronco

Petty Officer 3rd Class
*update*

Cooler was actually located near the aft on rear of engine and top location. Correct hose had a short length and I was able to find the end of it that was a plastic hose clamp securing it to inlet on cooler. Cramped space but was able to do the job thus saving me a few hundred on labor. Next fix will be seal on sea water pump. That seems to be fairly easy since of its location.

Have a great boating season all!