VP 5.7GI goes into “Slow Mode”

Sandcrazy

Recruit
So I have a 2010 5.7 GI Volvo Penta DPX that runs fine for the 1st few hours and then is going into slow mode (won’t run above idle) I can shut the motor off and it will run fine for about 30 seconds and then goes back into slow mode. I’m guessing there is a wire shorted somewhere, but puzzled as to finding it. I know there are ways to make a code reader to help at least track down the circuit to narrow down the search. My question is in all the research I have done, I have only found older versions and the OBD plugs are different than mine. Does anyone have an idea on where to look or how to proceed?

alldodge

Staff member
can shut the motor off and it will run fine for about 30 seconds and then goes back into slow mode

I think you should start checking your fuel system first.
Dump fuel filter contents into a clear container to see if there is nothing but clear gas
Check fuel pressure at the rail

Sandcrazy

Recruit
New fuel filter and when I shut the key off and fire it back up it runs perfect... only for about 30 seconds. Something is causing it to go into slow mode.

alldodge

Staff member
Check your fuel pressure and if its good, your going to need a scan tool (Techmate or diacom software)

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A slow mode condition is usually traceable to an overheat or oil pressure issue. Does not necessarily mean a major problem, it could just be one of the two sensors that feed the control unit or perhaps a wiring issue with them. The code reader will tell you which it is. What are your temp and oil pressure readings before going into slow mode?