closed cooling bypass

jaytintinger@q.com

Seaman Apprentice
Converting a VP 5.7 gi to closed cooling. I let the doner motor go without taking the bypass hoses and fittings. Now I realise its to pump more water through the heat exchanger. On the old 5.0 the bypass hoses attached to the lower front of the exhaust manifolds to a "t", then to a pipe on the collar. The 5.7 feeds from the heat exchanger to the manifolds lower back on one side and the lower front on the other.
question?
where should the bypass hoses come from?
should there be any restrictors anywhere. or will it regulate itself.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unless the motor you are putting the closed cooling on is brand new, adding closed cooling is a waste of money.

in some cases, you can add closed cooling to low hour fresh water motors, however if the motor has seen any salt water at all, it will simply cause problems in the future.

the cooling system is completely different on HX cooled motors than it is on raw water cooled. different thermostat housings, different hoses, etc.

plumbing depends if its a full system or a half system.

jaytintinger@q.com

Seaman Apprentice
Its a fresh water motor. and I have the thermostat housing etc. whats a 1/2 system vs a full system?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a half system only cools the engine, a full system also cools the manifolds

jaytintinger@q.com

Seaman Apprentice
OK so 1/2 system it is. So i assume the down side to converting a used motor is the corrosion present in the motor. The way i figure it is to run it for a while with extra anti corrosion additives then flush system maybe with a caustic flush. That should remove any troublesome scale

We have great winter fishing and boating here in the winter. The closed system makes it much easier to drain