5.0 GXiB Electric Fuel Pump Not Running

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The electric fuel pump on the Volvo-Penta 5.0 GXiB installed on my 2002 Four Winns 214 deckboat is not running. Of course, the engine will not start. I’ve had the boat 12 years and it has always started instantly and run well. Yesterday was the first time we’ve had the boat on the water this season. When I started it at the launch ramp, it turned over a little more than usual— instead of a near instant start, it turned over maybe three or four seconds before starting.

We took the boat to a nearby marina for dinner and it ran fine. After dinner, it started the same way as at the launch ramp. After idling away from the dock the engine sputtered for a few moments and then stopped. That engine has NEVER done that EVER. Once it is started, it runs, period. I knew right then that something was wrong and the engine was not going to restart and it didn’t. Some Good Samaritans helped us get back on the dock for the evening and gave one of our party a ride on their boat back to the launch to get a vehicle.

This morning, just to be sure, I checked the water separating filter and it was fine. When the key is turned on, there’s the familiar couple of beeps from the engine alarm, but no sound comes from the electric pump and the engine alarm continues with the two beeps every five seconds or so. I don’t know for certain, but I strongly suspect the engine alarm beep is for low fuel pressure.

I’d like to do some troubleshooting. I don't have a schematic for the fuel system, but I feel certain there is a relay for the pump somewhere. I’d like to check that before replacing the pump, although the extended cranking, however slight, is a sign that the fuel pump output was in decline.

What else can I check?

alldodge

Staff member
Start first with checking the fuses on the motor. Then check for 12V at pins 30 and 86 at the fuel pump relay. If power is good and relay does not engage, swap the main power relay with fuel pump