VP DP SM cone clutch issue

ricrx7

Cadet
Had my outdrive cone clutch replaced and when in water, refused to shift. When I got back to lift, I found the shaft had gone through the top casing. Has anyone seen this and know the cause?

kenny nunez

Captain
There is a “split ring” that locks the shaft to the lower gear in the upper gear housing. It appears that the ring was not installed when the cone clutch repair was performed.

ricrx7

Cadet
I had two drives repaired. The other drive appears to be working properly. Can it operate properly without the split ring?

kenny nunez

Captain
If the “split ring” could be missing from the other drive you should not try to use it otherwise the same thing will happen.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have one broken drive, why risk the other.

Pull the boat, get it fixed

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Get it out the water and sort it. No matter what the cause. It needs to come out and at the very least, check the state of play.

ricrx7

Cadet
Thanks for the excellent advice. I was going to drive the boat on one engine to the marina, but now I will pay for towing.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agree I would not risk the second drive. Whoever repaired the first and forgot about the split ring may have also “forgot” about it on the second. Either way, I would definitely have some words with the mechanic!