VP DP SM cone clutch issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VP DP SM cone clutch issue

Had my outdrive cone clutch replaced and when in water, refused to shift. When I got back to lift, I found the shaft had gone through the top casing. Has anyone seen this and know the cause?

There is a “split ring” that locks the shaft to the lower gear in the upper gear housing. It appears that the ring was not installed when the cone clutch repair was performed.
    Kenner, Louisiana 1980 Donzi 18'. 2+3 6.2 MPI Alpha 1

Comment

I had two drives repaired. The other drive appears to be working properly. Can it operate properly without the split ring?

Comment

If the “split ring” could be missing from the other drive you should not try to use it otherwise the same thing will happen.
        Kenner, Louisiana 1980 Donzi 18'. 2+3 6.2 MPI Alpha 1

Comment

Have one broken drive, why risk the other.

Pull the boat, get it fixed
          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Get it out the water and sort it. No matter what the cause. It needs to come out and at the very least, check the state of play.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice. I was going to drive the boat on one engine to the marina, but now I will pay for towing.

Comment

Agree I would not risk the second drive. Whoever repaired the first and forgot about the split ring may have also “forgot” about it on the second. Either way, I would definitely have some words with the mechanic!

Comment

Working...
                X