Will these Props Fit?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I currently have a DP-SM Outdrive with F4 props and from what I can tell only stainless prop’s are available (No Alumimum or Composite). However I came across a prop set that says it works with F series props and up to 5.0L motors.

https://urlzs.com/oXrXH

Product Code: 3807953

I saw one auction that said it’s compatible but not sure it’s accurate. $300-$400 a set beats $1200 for stainless if they are compatible.

Anyone know if these are compatible with the DP-SM Outdrive?

Last edited:

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Volvo Penta list them as for the DP-SM.

Wow I didn’t realize there were other options other than Stainless for this particular Outdrive. Being in salt water the idea of a composite or aluminum prop is enticing.

Anyone know if these are worthy prop sets? Im not worried about loosing a tiny bit of performance. Are they worth considering?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you get a set let me know how they work, as my F4's have a problem with serious pitting (right through the hub)
Although I need to scrape the barnnacles off the stainless ones, not too sure the composites would stand up to that.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Yes those props will fit, I don’t have any experience with them so don’t know how well they will work on your boat. We did try a lot of composite props back in the 80s and early 90s and found that they could work better than aluminum on some under powered boats, but usually were garbage on properly powered boats. It was really hit and miss on how well they worked. We quit using them on anything other then price point boats due to the push back we got from customers when they found out the composite props can’t be repaired.

The X series props came out to support the XDP composite drives. Those drives have been discontinued and it looks like repair parts for these props are starting to be dropped.

There are aluminum props props available for your drive. Volvo recommends that they only be used on engines 240 hp and below and boats that can’t exceed 45 mph.
The D series will fit and are aluminum, but they are being phased out and replaced by the I series.

If you do decide to try the X series props, a couple of things to keep in mind.
1. They damage pretty easy and if you hit something they can’t be repaired. So you will probably need to replace all 6 blades. You might want to see how much $$$ that costs.
2. Try to make sure you can return them if you’re not happy with the performance

With the F and I series. When ordering make sure there is no H in the designation. H stands for helical and those splines are used on the newer drives.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes those props will fit, I don’t have any experience with them so don’t know how well they will work on your boat. We did try a lot of composite props back in the 80s and early 90s and found that they could work better than aluminum on some under powered boats, but usually were garbage on properly powered boats. It was really hit and miss on how well they worked. We quit using them on anything other then price point boats due to the push back we got from customers when they found out the composite props can’t be repaired.

The X series props came out to support the XDP composite drives. Those drives have been discontinued and it looks like repair parts for these props are starting to be dropped.

There are aluminum props props available for your drive. Volvo recommends that they only be used on engines 240 hp and below and boats that can’t exceed 45 mph.
The D series will fit and are aluminum, but they are being phased out and replaced by the I series.

If you do decide to try the X series props, a couple of things to keep in mind.
1. They damage pretty easy and if you hit something they can’t be repaired. So you will probably need to replace all 6 blades. You might want to see how much $$$ that costs.
2. Try to make sure you can return them if you’re not happy with the performance

With the F and I series. When ordering make sure there is no H in the designation. H stands for helical and those splines are used on the newer drives.

Thanks for the details, I didn't realize you replied since I never got a notice. So I now see in the updated prop guide that the D's are being replaced with the I's, thanks for clearing that up.

Makes a lot of sense on the composite. Only reason I'm considering those is it seems a set can be had for cheap so I figured it may be worth trying, or keeping as a spare. Think they perform decent if you don't hit anything? I found someone selling a used pair that look almost new for really cheap.

The reason why I'm considering aluminum is that I boat in salt water and I float the boat all season long. I've heard stainless props can speed up galvanic corrosion on themselves, and the outdrives. Is this the case? I see some people paint their stainless props so maybe that's the solution? Where I boat it is also very rocky and isn't uncommon for people to hit the prop on rocks from time to time. I've read aluminum is more forgiving to the blades, and to the outdrive over stainless. Are both of these things worth considering aluminum? My boat has the 270HP fuel injected engine, and last year with the stainless props it got up to about 50mph. If I was running aluminum I would keep my speeds under the 45mph or 40mph number considering that's their suggested limit.

Seems like a set of aluminum's at around $700+, or I can get a second prop set of used but good condition stainless props for about the same money.

Considering all these things, is aluminum worth considering?

Last edited:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
What I understand is the D props are only available as single props for replacing one, because you can’t mix styles. The I props come in sets or singles and are a superior prop.

At 270 hp you may experience blade flex during full throttle, so I would only recommend S.S. props.

As for the saltwater question, I’m in Minnesota (about as far from salt as you can get) so I hesitate to give advice on something I have no first hand experience with. Maybe talk to a prop repair shop near you.