Engine cranks...starts to start, then dies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cranks...starts to start, then dies

If i hit the starter, it cranks, then begins to run for about 1 second and dies....tells me it's getting spark and fuel, but failing to stay started.

Ideas?

Edit: this isn't really engine specific, but in posted it in the wrong forum. It should be in the Volvo penta forum.
    Last edited by Skyhog; June 11th, 2019, 06:52 PM.

Topic moved. Might help to add some details about the drive and engine.

Comment

Water in fuel, try changing your water sep/fuel filter or moisture in distributor cap

Comment

Ok. It's a Volvo Pents 3.0L.

Here's a video of me trying to start it

Comment

Ayuh,.... The ignition is powered by the outboard tiny terminal on the starter's solenoid, when the starter is engaged,.....

When ya release the key, the ignition circuit from the key switch takes over,.....

So,..... With a test light, check to see if there's power at the purple wire from the key to the tiny (+) terminal on the coil,.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bondo View Post
            Ayuh,.... The ignition is powered by the outboard tiny terminal on the starter's solenoid, when the starter is engaged,.....

When ya release the key, the ignition circuit from the key switch takes over,.....

So,..... With a test light, check to see if there's power at the purple wire from the key to the tiny (+) terminal on the coil,.....
            I'm not really following unfortunately. Are you saying that the red/yellow powers the starter, after which the purple wire powers the coil?

if so, I should be able to turn the key on and check for 12v at the coil right?

Comment

Let's add to that. My coil has the wiring harness on it. No positive connection. How do I test for power without splicing into the wire?

I tried to unplug it and tested the purple wire. No 12v. Is it safe to cut that wire and run a lead up to the switched purple wire on the key instead?
              Last edited by Skyhog; June 15th, 2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Here's the coil

Comment

That seemed to do it. I traced the purple wire between the starter and the coil and spliced into it and ran a new run to the ignition switc . Started right up.

Unfortunately, it bypassed my skill switch so now I need to wire that back up too

Comment

Working...
                  X