Mystery Nut (with pictures). What tool?

st0n3

Cadet
Engine: Volvo 8.1 Gi-F (2004-2005)
Transom: SX-MHP
Drive: DP-SM 1.78 (M22)

Does anyone know the proper tool to use to remove this version of the water nipple nut, and then tighten it again to the proper torque? Some kind of four pronged socket?

Volvo Part Number: 3807821

Looks like this:
uc

Item #24 in this diagram:
uc

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try to get a copy of the VP manual on line. A Google search should find it. The manual will identify the VP tool number and the torque. The manuals should be available free of charge but you may need to search around the internet a bit to find the free ones.

st0n3

Cadet
Hi GeorgeDes,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have the Volvo manual for the SX-MHP and use it religiously. However, the manual shows a normal 6 sided nut for the water pipe nipple - hence the "mystery". :^)

When I looked at the exploded parts diagram for similar SX-* models, they all show a 6 sided nut. Apparently the SX-MHP nut is a bit different.

Really hoping that someone else has a similar model and knows the correct tool to use.

- Brad

alldodge

Staff member
Might have found the tool, but unable to verify the actual size p/n 3850601 spanner wrench. Found a place selling for 70.29 and don't want to post here because a compensatory

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It looks similar to most of the nuts found on the antenna base on most vehicles. These are the sockets for them
shopping

st0n3

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. They got us thinking and we came up with a great solution to share.

My daughter designed a 3D model for an improved version of this tool. We then 3D printed the tool and it worked great!

For those not familiar with 3D printing, a machine uses instructions to lay down thin layers of plastic in a precision manner to create objects. Here is what 3D printing of this tool looks like:

The finished tool looks like this:

uc

Here is the tool being used on the boat:

You can download this 3D design for free and print one for yourself at:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3707648

Hope that this helps others!

- Brad