1999 5.0GL Oil Recommendations

mnjeepmale

Cadet
I'm looking for suggestions on oil to use in my Volvo Penta that has a 5.0GL engine. The marina quoted me at around $200 to do an oil change and I want to do it myself. I know how to change the oil as I have in the past. They said to only use 25-40 oil for the engine. I'm not finding a lot of 25-40 oil options out there to buy and wondering what others use with the same engine and brand.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the 5.7 GSI and the manual calls for a synthetic 30W. This is available but hard to find in auto or department stores. You can get it on Amazon or at West Marine. It is carried under the Sierra brand name. The manual for my engine also says it is okay to use Mobile 1 15W-50 which is readily available just about anywhere. As I recall it also allows for 15W-40. Ck your manual. $200 for an oil change is outrageous and something you can easily do yourself for much less. You may have to invest in a dipstick suction pump and oil filter wrench but you will recoup that in savings after the first oil change.

mnjeepmale

Cadet
I have the 5.7 GSI and the manual calls for a synthetic 30W. This is available but hard to find in auto or department stores. You can get it on Amazon or at West Marine. It is carried under the Sierra brand name. The manual for my engine also says it is okay to use Mobile 1 15W-50 which is readily available just about anywhere. As I recall it also allows for 15W-40. Ck your manual. $200 for an oil change is outrageous and something you can easily do yourself for much less. You may have to invest in a dipstick suction pump and oil filter wrench but you will recoup that in savings after the first oil change.

I have the dipstick suction pump and filter removal. I will have to check the manual. I think I still have it or that it came with the boat when I bought it used several years ago.

Just want to use the safest oil in my engine.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use 20W-50 SAE but according to one of their bulletins, 15w40 is suggested now.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been running the 15W-50 Mobil 1 since it was on the shelf at Walmart. I noticed my oil pressure runs a bit high on this until the engine heats up and have considered dropping back to the straight 30W that used to be sold as the Volvo Penta standard. I have 5qts of the Sierra 30W and just may try this on my next oil change to see if there is any difference in the pressure.

mnjeepmale

Cadet
I use 20W-50 SAE but according to one of their bulletins, 15w40 is suggested now.

So you have the same engine and outdrive. What brand do you use and where do you but it? I'm wanting to do mine this weekend?
Thanks!

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic is usually on the shelf at Walmart. I think I paid $26.00 for a 5 qt container if I remember right. They may even have had synthetic 20w-50 as well. The straight synthetic 30w is the one difficult to find anywhere but online or West Marine.

mnjeepmale

Cadet
I bought 6 qt of Mobil 1 Ultimate Synthetic 15W-50 and Volvo Penta oil filter. I changed the oil on the engine this weekend and checked the dip stick and after 4 qt and it was in the safe range. I looked for the owners manual and can't find one for the engine. I have one for the boat but doesn't have anything about the engine. I wanted to see how much oil this engine holds.

So my question is how many quarts does this 5.0GL engine take? For being an 8 cylinder I would think it takes more then 4 qt.

Haven't done the outboard. I have an SX drive. What brand and oil should I use? The Marina has Volvo Penta 75-90 for $20/qt.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was able to find a Mobil Delvac synthetic 75-90 on line. I can not recall what I paid for it but it was less than the Volvo Penta. Just be careful. Mobil also sells a 75-90 that is limited slip and you can find this just about anywhere This is not the one you want to use.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just checked on Amazon. It is listed for $51.75 a gallon. Several reviews point out it does not contain the limited slip additives.