Volvo Penta 3.0L

alldodge

Staff member
It will read the temp of the motor. The sender for the gauge is in the thermostat housing, and if you measure the housing and compare with the gauge

mltessier

Seaman
It will read the temp of the motor. The sender for the gauge is in the thermostat housing, and if you measure the housing and compare with the gauge

Will do. I just pulled the thermostat housing and the gasket was mostly not there. Would that cause an over heat situation? I'm thinking maybe it was sucking air?

alldodge

Staff member
Just use the temp gun and we can figure out what might be going on

mltessier

Seaman
So I started her up. Used a temp gun on thermostat housing and it reached 200 then it stoped the engin. I did remove de termostat thinking it was bad (it was stuck in partially opened). So i'm still thinking there's no water going to the engin? The exhaust manifold temp was 220... What next?

Just use the temp gun and we can figure out what might be going on

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the hose from the pump to the thermostat housing at the thermostat housing. With water turned on, start the motor and see if water comes out the hose. If water does not come out then
The pump is bad or
The hose going to thermostat housing is clogged real bad or
The hoses are on wrong on the pump

mltessier

Seaman
Remove the hose from the pump to the thermostat housing at the thermostat housing. With water turned on, start the motor and see if water comes out the hose. If water does not come out then
The pump is bad or
The hose going to thermostat housing is clogged real bad or
The hoses are on wrong on the pump

There is screw on top of the housing. Could I just remove that?

alldodge

Staff member
You want to know if your getting full water flow, not that your just getting a little

alldodge

Staff member
I just pulled the thermostat housing and the gasket was mostly not there.

Ok you have water making it to the thermostat housing but its still over heating, so the thermostat needs to come off and remove the thermostat. Place thermostat in a pan of water on the stove and heat it up. Use your temp gun to measure the water temp when it starts to open. Should open around 140 degrees

Inspect the housing, it should be clear of debris

mltessier

Seaman
Ok you have water making it to the thermostat housing but its still over heating, so the thermostat needs to come off and remove the thermostat. Place thermostat in a pan of water on the stove and heat it up. Use your temp gun to measure the water temp when it starts to open. Should open around 140 degrees

Inspect the housing, it should be clear of debris

Did that. It's a 160 thermometer. It did open at around that temperature but did not fully close so I'm replacing that. Housing looked fine, no debris. Put everything back together without the T-stat and it seemed to be fine for while, but temperature was creeping up again. Now I'm thinking water circulating pump? How would I go about testing that?

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the large hose going to it, and remove belt on pulley. Insert something into the vanes and try to hold it to see if pulley can be turned by hand, and look at all the vanes to see if they are there

Without a thermostat or one which stays open it should run cooler

mltessier

Seaman
Remove the large hose going to it, and remove belt on pulley. Insert something into the vanes and try to hold it to see if pulley can be turned by hand, and look at all the vanes to see if they are there

Without a thermostat or one which stays open it should run cooler

Will try that when I get a chance. I did notice something new when going through the manual. There is bracket that holds the raw water pump. On my boat, there is one, but I found it deep in the bilge. Could that be contributing to my overheat issue?

mltessier

Seaman
Bad new (well not that bad, but bad). I was putting the raw water pump back in it's place and I over torked the one of the brass bolts. Surly it snapped the head off. Good news is I was able to take out the broken bolt with pliers (part of it was sticking out)!! Hours of pleasure!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Will try that when I get a chance. I did notice something new when going through the manual. There is bracket that holds the raw water pump. On my boat, there is one, but I found it deep in the bilge. Could that be contributing to my overheat issue?

If the pump turns, then the bracket is used to keep the load from damaging the pump. Without the bracket, then things can happen. If it turns it pumps, but belt might be slipping a bit, so bit less water but don't see an over heat issue

mltessier

Seaman
If the pump turns, then the bracket is used to keep the load from damaging the pump. Without the bracket, then things can happen. If it turns it pumps, but belt might be slipping a bit, so bit less water but don't see an over heat issue

I've read somewhere that pump might not prim if boat is out of the water. Something to do with the hight of the pump in relation to the intake. Is that something I should consider?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need a thermostat to regulate the water flow.

Yes, without muffs, the boat must be in water to have the water level high enough to self prime

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, with muffs and the garden hose on full blast, it will self prime

mltessier

Seaman
Wondering about this. There is sealing ring in the water pump I dont remember seeing. It's number 5 in the exploded view below. Could this have something to do with overheating situation? I will pull the pump and check when I get back home, but that's not until Sunday.
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744460-26-9451.aspx