Volvo Penta 3.0L

mltessier

Seaman
Hi,
Just bought a 2005 Four Winns 170 with a Volvo Penta 3.0L in it. Did a bit of maintenance : all oils, power steering etc....Changed the impeller (the other one was still good, but did not want to take a chance). My question is the following : how do I know the impeller/ raw water pump is working? I started the boat with a hose in the fers water port. Started right up, but temperature seems to be going up fast. I shut down the engine when it reaches around 180. I'm just trying to figure out if the pump is pumping water. I'm not sure where to look or what to look for. After the first time I started it up, I pulled the raw water pump off to check and there was no damage to the impeller not did any water come out. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!!

alldodge

Staff member
hose in the fers water port.

Don't know what a fers is. If you mean attached muffs to the drive and the water didn't make it to the pump, then need to look at the drive.

Disconnect the hose from the drive going to the pump and see if you can use a hose to flow water out of it

Otherwise I need more explanation

mltessier

Seaman
I meant to say fresh water inlet on the side of the motor. I also put muffs on the drive. I'm just not sure where is the water supposed to come out? I ran the motor for a couple of minutes and removed the water pump to inspect the impeller. Everything was ok : impeller still intact.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
What fresh water on the side of motor do you mean and are you saying you also had the muffs and hose on the drive at the same time ?

mltessier

Seaman
Soory if I'm not making myself clear, english is not my first language. Yes I meant the fresh water on the side of the motor and no I did not have both at the sake time. Tried one then the other.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What fresh water port?

The 3.0 didnt come with one, and if its tee'd into the supply line, you most likely simply pumped water out the drive

alldodge

Staff member
The motor was doing fine before replacing the impeller, so I'm thinking the hoses were installed on the pump backwards. Reason being, the motor heats up and impeller has no damage.

An easy check, place muffs on, turn the water on full and there should be water leaking out the sides. Once the motor starts, there should be a lot less water leaking. If the leaking doesn't slow down, the hoses are on backwards.

mltessier

Seaman
The motor was doing fine before replacing the impeller, so I'm thinking the hoses were installed on the pump backwards. Reason being, the motor heats up and impeller has no damage.

An easy check, place muffs on, turn the water on full and there should be water leaking out the sides. Once the motor starts, there should be a lot less water leaking. If the leaking doesn't slow down, the hoses are on backwards.

Thank for your input. I did not remove the hoses from the pump when replacing the impeller. I put muffs on with the pump off and there was no water coming to the pump.

alldodge

Staff member
In that case you have a clog in the drive or hose leading to the pump.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
post a pic of the port

recommended using the muffs

if you have a clog, back-flush the lines

mltessier

Seaman
With muffs on, should I get water flow at the pump (pump is removed)?
I'm also trying to figure out what is the normal operating temperature of the engine. Any idea? Idle sits at about 1100RPM's on the gage, temperature goes up with-in a a couple minutes to 180 degrees, I then stop the engine because gage goes up to 200 degrees, dont want to take any chances.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
your water temp should be about 160 with a 160 degree thermostat, or 140 with a 140 degree thermostat

180 is too hot, and 200 is way to hot.

alldodge

Staff member
With muffs on, should I get water flow at the pump (pump is removed)?

Yes you should see water coming thru on a hose, unless maybe your muffs seal really bad

Scott Danforth

Staff member
to operating temp of 140 or 160, idle with no load, about 10-15 minutes

mltessier

Seaman
I see. I've concluded that water does come to the pump : pump off, water flow ou t of pump. Still temp goes up fast. I'm now thinking thermostat? What do you think? Also, I'm a little curious about the RPM dial. At the first click in the ignition, the gage goes up to 300 (engin not started)? Is this normal? Is this why I think it's in fast idle when it's actually ok?

to operating temp of 140 or 160, idle with no load, about 10-15 minutes

alldodge

Staff member
Your gauge may be the issue unless you know its hot. Use a IR temp gun to measure the temp at the thermostat housing