VP 5.0fi 1995 (Ford)

Hi

new in the forum and need some help here.
My engine has started trouble. Starts ok, but begin to
hunt from 800-1400 rpm in idle. Will go for 5-10 min in 2500 rpm then shuts down. Seems to be an issue with Air/fuel. Changed the Map sensor with no success!!
my issue is that there has only been sold about 10 VP 5.0fi with Ford as supplier so no professionals can help me! Feels like the engine is getting to much fuel???

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
What changed? When did this start? Was it ever fine? When it shuts off, does it restart? If it doesn't, what is it missing? (fuel or spark?) Need some more details... When you are running it at 2500 rpm, that is in the water I hope, not on the hose?

Things rarely just go bad randomly. Given the time of year, did it run fine last year and now is acting up? Did you have the battery out? First thing I'd check is bad grounding somewhere in the system. Grounds can really screw up an EFI system interesting ways.

Although you might get some answers in this section, one of the mods might move your question to a better area.

Also, welcome aboard!

It started last fall just before I put the boat in storage so happened on water last year as well. Sparks well and grounding seems to be Ok. Feels very much like the mixture of air/gas is wrong. Do you know some good places online to find parts like sensors for VP 5.0fi ford?

Thanks for welcomming

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
I've got a 1995 Ford 5.8. So not exactly the same, but not far off either. First thing you want to do is scan for codes. See what you get. A code scanner for these model years is cheap. Second, most all of the sensors are the same ones you'd find on a 1995 5.0 E150 or F150 or Mustang. There really isn't any difference in any of them. When I need a sensor or something like a IAC valve I typically use Rock Auto.

Last edited:

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
If you have rolling idle, I would suspect the IAC Valve. If you have rough idle and then stall, I'd suspect the high pressure pump and/or the fuel pressure regulator. If you are going into limp mode over 2,500 rpm I'd suggest the oil pressure switch.

Rolling Idle, Hesitation,Reduced Top Speed, Hard cold starts can also often be caused by leaking capacitors in the ECM. I would not go there first though.

Again, let's start with pulling codes and see what you come up with.

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
I should also mention that the Ford EEC-V OBD-II system (that started in 1994. Prior to that EEC-IV) Is really an easy system to use and diagnose with. It's very dependable as well. So just because not many were put in boats, you aren't necessarily in a bad place.