1984 Volvo Penta 2.1L 270 part numbers

Alwyn'sMate

Recruit
Well we bought this nice looking boat, but of course it needs long overdue repairs. It is a 1984 Bayliner Capri Bowrider. We are located in Washington State on Lopez Island. We have found that there is a leak in the raw water system, and mostly know what parts are needed now, but have no part numbers to look for parts. We hope to make this boat reliable. My partner is a professional auto mechanic, and knows his Volvo engines, but the whole marine environment issue is new for us. We have the SELOC manual, which has been some help. Any help out there?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

first, the tags do nothing on this forum

next, follow the links above to the mega mall side of iBoats. from there, look at the sterndrive parts and follow the links to the Volvo Penta OEM parts. that will take you to volvopentastore.com (iBoats is the US authorized VP parts house). scroll thru the lists until you come to your engine model and all the parts breakdowns are there.

throw the seloc manual away, use it as a knee pad or start a fire with it, however it sucks as a manual.

get a factory VP manual, or look at the library on boatinfo.no

Alwyn'sMate

Recruit
Thanks! We were trying to use the Serial number or the Outdrive part number, since we were looking for outdrive paerts. We figured out that it helps to have the engine model number. :p So I think we are on our way for buying the parts we know about so far. The frustrating part about the SELOC manual is that it gives no hints about regular maintenance. I have found some suggestions on this forum, but otherwise we are just guessing. Since we are already into the outdrive, we are pretty much replacing both bellows, the raw water inlet and o-ring, gasket and hose, the upper drive outut seal, as well as getting a raw water pump rebuild kit. We hope this solution will last a few years, although I hear rhe water inlet needs to be replaced every two years in a marine environment. :( On the engine side it will just be a general servicing, but we are replacing the blower for safety and the raw water impeller. Any other suggestions?

Otherwise, it was such a pain to get out those pins to get into the upper outdrive, we are thinking about drilling a hole in the pins, threading the hole and then using a bolt to pull out those pins, particularly if we have to continually replace that water inlet. We just may not know the secret here!