Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi-C cranks but won't fire

PcolaBeach

Cadet
Is it possible to open up the ecm and check to see if one of the capacitors has a leak. Usually easy to see, the "legs" of the capacitor will be black from the leaking and sometimes the board itself will be stained in that area. Have you ever tried hotwiring the fuel pumps and trying to start it?

Thanks 89SM ... Do you happen to have a picture of what the capacitor legs would look like if they were leaking? We did jumper 30 - 87 with the fuel pump relay removed to run the fuel pumps. Engine cranked but did not start in this configuration.

89sandman

Seaman
Can't get my pic to upload on here, just google "pic of leaking ecm capacitor" and there will be a whole page of pics. I'd try shooting some starting fluid down the throttle body and see if it fires. That way you will know if you have spark. If it doesn;'t then I'd start by getting spark first, then worry about the fuel later.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Thanks 89SM Engine cranked but did not start in this configuration.

Is this a change?
I had thought that your first post said that the engine would start and idle fine after some gas was dumped down the throttle body?

PcolaBeach

Cadet
Is this a change?
I had thought that your first post said that the engine would start and idle fine after some gas was dumped down the throttle body?

Yes, that is correct Muc. Engine would start and idle fine after some gas was dumped down the throttle body. In addition at a later time, we jumpered relay contacts 30-87 with the fuel pump relay removed to force the fuel pumps to run which they did. Engine cranked but did not start in this configuration. Thanks for the clarifying question.

PcolaBeach

Cadet
As it turns out, the ECM was the issue. Interestingly, at least 3 different ECM's were used at different times. The last one did the trick. Thanks again everyone. Until next time, safe boating :D

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Thanks for the update.
Wow, 3 ECMs?
Hope it stays running.