No announcement yet.

Water in oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing to 15w50 will increase pressure but higher pressure doesn't mean more protection. It can actually have reduced protection because there may not be enough oil in areas because of reduced viscosity. You have a standard build so I would suggest sticking with manufactures recommendations
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Agreed, I've heard that higher vis oil is actually not advised, but never saw evidence of supposed damage it could cause. If Volvo said syn 10w-40 then so be it. I use the conventional Merc 25/40 in mine. I can tell you this....I had salt water in the engine back in '16 took me a while to figure out what was happening (blown HGs) but when I took it apart, very little to no corrosion on the pushrods, rocker arms, rocker nuts, studs, etc. When I pulled out the hydraulic roller lifters one by one to check, the lifters looked new, no corrosion no wear, same with the cam lobes. So I believe their claims of better corrosion resistance than standard oil....
      1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
      4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this or not but one other issue I had sunday and have kinda had for a long time is the boat not wanting to return to idle after a run. It leads to a lot of dieseling sometimes. At first start up it idles close to where it should (but a little rough I think a tune up and timing is needed soon) but after a run when I put it in neutral it goes up to like 2000rpm I can grab the carb linkage and put it back down to where it should be. Last year while idling in the driveway I tried adjusting the idle down but just one turn of the eyelet would idle it down to low to run. How can I adjust that enough that it returns to proper idle after a run but not so much that it won't run on first start up? Carb was put on by a VP dealer in the spring of 2017 my original holley was recalled and got that new one installed for free.
        PS it done the same thing with the old carb too.
        Last edited by corvettedude; July 2nd, 2019, 02:04 AM.

Comment

You need to adjust the throttle cable and the idle screw.
          With the motor at temp, remove the throttle cable and adjust the idle with idle screw while holding the throttle plate closed. Once idle is correct, adjust throttle cable so the cable just slides into position. Remove cable again and turn adjusting nut one turn more so that the cable has a slight push to hold the carb clsoed
          94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
          95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
          07 Seadoo GTX
          Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
          G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedude View Post
            . It leads to a lot of dieseling sometimes..
            You might have found your water in oil problem.

AllDodge Adjust per his recommendations, dieseling is bad.
            Good Luck Muc

Comment

Ive heard dieseling can lead to water but haven't had any dieseling probs yet this year since the water in oil issue has started. All the water both times came from running the hose for 30 minutes and no dielseling when I shut it down.

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
                You need to adjust the throttle cable and the idle screw.
                With the motor at temp, remove the throttle cable and adjust the idle with idle screw while holding the throttle plate closed. Once idle is correct, adjust throttle cable so the cable just slides into position. Remove cable again and turn adjusting nut one turn more so that the cable has a slight push to hold the carb clsoed
                Thanks man, I honestly can't believe I didn't think to use the idle screw to set a limit. That seems so simple now lol. Always kinda wondered why the VP didn't set it up right when they put it on but it was a free job so I didn't say anything.

Comment

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated yall but I haven't had the boat out since that test run. Met a girl and got side tracked lol. Anyhow we took it out Saturday and was out for about 6 hours probably driving 4 of those and no problems oil looks good and level is correct. I will update if anything else happens.

Comment

What!!! met a girl, who stops you using your boat!!!! and you thought water in the oil was a problem.

Cranchi Ellipse 21
                    5.0Gi (PWTR) 1999.
                    DP-SM outdrive

Comment

hey guys this will be my last post because I don't wanna keep reviving a old thread but I wanted to be sure to keep ya updated. anyhow had the boat out again today and no water in oil and the level is right on. still running the mobil 1 10w40. the chick done split though lol ( my 2nd reason for not wanting to see this thread again lol plenty of fish in the sea I guess though right lol) but thanks to everyone who posted and for all of your guys input and help thanks again to you all.

Comment

Working...
                      X