Water in oil

corvettedude

Seaman
hey guys I was able to let it run tonight, it ran for about 40 minutes and I would stop it every 10 minutes or so to check oil levels and color and everything seems ok now. I will check the oil later tonight again to see if there is any change. I can't imagine it would instantly turn milky sitting in the garage not running, nothing mixing that way but this has been a total mind blower so nothing surprises me now. I still plan to do at least 2 more oil changes, 1 more to flush and the 2nd will be oil for the remainder of the season, might even throw a 3rd in just to flush things well. I will be sure to update in the next few days as I change oil and run it some more. This time I used muffs and not the flush port by the starter, the first and only time I ever used that was the other day when all this happened. Is there someway that could've gave it more water than it could handle? Maybe the exhaust couldn't get it outta there in time? I have no clue.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is that engine set up with a flush port, or a drain tube? I know certain engines are equipped with a flush port, but older models have a drain tube. I’ve seen mention of people using the drain tube wrong but that typically results more in the engine not getting proper water flow internally and not water ingestion. A long shot but something worth double checking.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 01 298 vista twin 5.7 gsi has the optional (Four Winns) engine flush system. They each have a capped water port near the shore power conection and it splits off and goes down to the engine drain ports (1 on each side of motor). Four winns owners manual says to flush with boat in the water with engine OFF. Not sure if this affects you but it is different then the newer blue hose flush ports in engine bay.

corvettedude

Seaman
It has a flush port that "T's" into the raw water intake hose about 2 foot before the raw water pump. Has a blue cap on it with a picture of a water outlet and then a arrow circle. I have no idea how it could make it in the motor from there. I pretty certain it can't actually, just a coincidence I'd say. Must have been condensation I guess. The oil still looks good but haven't ran it today. I will run it again maybe Saturday. Then drain the Mobil one and put on a new filter and new oil and run it a couple more times. I buy Sierra 30 weight in 5 quart jugs and boat uses 4 quarts so I have all these random jugs sitting around with only one quart in them. Id like to use it just to get rid of it. Not sure of the shelf life on opened oil. Probably should've used that when I was just running oil through it and out the drain plug to flush it out lol. Would it be safe to use that for the second flush change it will only be ran a couple times on the hose, but that oil has sat around for a couple years. Then I'll do a final change with new marine oil and a volvo filter.

Last edited:

corvettedude

Seaman
Hey gang another update. Didn't change the oil again, but i let her run again today. 30 minutes and no sign of milky oil and the level is still right on point. Still working on posting pics. When I resize them they are so blurry they're not worth posting. I guess for now if anyone runs across this thread wanting to know how to pressurize a block just send me a message I'll try to get them to you someway.

corvettedude

Seaman
hey gang wanted to update again and its a bad one. Yall know I had started my first "flush" I had ran the boat 2 different times on the hose totaling about one and a half hours. Last night I drained that oil it was mobil one 10w30 and ac delco filter I got from local parts store. It came out as clean and beautiful as when it went in. So I thought if its this clean theres no need for a 2nd "flush" so I put my volvo filter one and filled it with my sierra 30 weight. I ran it tonight and within 30 minutes its completely milky again right back to square one. The level is fine didn't go up any. If anything it went down because I had it just a little under a 1/2 quart high to fill up the filter. Has anyone had a problem with sierra oil? I never did ran it in her for years now. Can I just ran the mobil one run automotive oil it seemed fine but that could be coincidence. Is there something I may be doing to cause this? I read the mercruiser service bulletin for "water in oil" that was posted by Don S years ago and it stated something about "throttle chops" can cause water to come in through the exhaust. Can anyone explain what a throttle chop is maybe I am doing that I rev it up sometimes while one the hose and back it back to idle, is that a throttle chop?

corvettedude

Seaman
also its been cool here way to cool for this time of year, could me only idling it and it sitting around on these cool nights cause more condensation since it is not getting ran hard maybe not hard enough to burn off the condensation?

alldodge

Staff member
Thinking out loud, but Mobil 1 is full synthetic oil and Sierra is reg oil or a blend. Synthetic does not mix with water but dino oil does, so milk comes with dino oil and not synthetic does not.

If your draining out the oil pan and not sucking out the dip stick, then run mobile and then drain and find out if there is more of it, or put in clear container and see if water goes to the bottom

corvettedude

Seaman
now that's an idea, when I had it draining I watched for the most part but I may not really paid attention at the end thinking it was fine and of course that would have been when the water would have come out. My jug of sierra oil says full synthetic though. I am thinking of calling the VP dealer and getting it out there to them. I think its time I let a pro take a look. I'm just turning wrenches everynight for a month now and not accomplishing anything. I wanna thank everyone of you who took the time to post any thoughts or suggestions I really appreciate all the help and advice from yall. I'll be sure to post the outcome of whatever happens. I did pick up a jug of automotive oil again I think i'll run it once more before it goes to them I am just curious to see what happens if it doesn't get milky then that's twice sierra went milky and twice automotive didn't I don't know if that would be coincidence lol

corvettedude

Seaman
New update back spark plug has water on it, went ahead and checked them since it had been running recently. Last time I checked the plugs the motor hadn't been ran in a week. I assume it was water, none of the others had it and I guessing it ain't gasoline. It was tiny droplets, like if you were to take a spray bottle and mist something with water.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Slightly bizzare question, is your boat on a trailer with the bow down? Reason I am asking is that the cooling water exits through the exhaust risers which have a slight slope downwards towards the transom. If the bow is low then the slight slope might just be eliminated and allowing water back to the engine via the exhaust. Grasping at straws here.

alldodge

Staff member
Water would have come out first, its heavier then oil

Water on the plug, means pull the head

corvettedude

Seaman
Slightly bizzare question, is your boat on a trailer with the bow down? Reason I am asking is that the cooling water exits through the exhaust risers which have a slight slope downwards towards the transom. If the bow is low then the slight slope might just be eliminated and allowing water back to the engine via the exhaust. Grasping at straws here.

YES I was just thinking about this last night. My current tow vehicle sits a little lower than last years and my driveway has a very slight slope. Both times I have had water in the oil I have pulled forward a little more than normal making it sit even lower in the front and the two times I had no water I was back further where it is more level i remember this because i was closer to the garage because I was watching to make sure the exhaust water wasn't spraying in the garage. When you figure the fact boats usually sit low in the stern on water, plus lower tow vehicle, plus natural slope of the driveway it may all had up to a pretty significant more slope than previous years. Maybe that's why water was only on the back plug, wouldn't that be the quickest cylinder for it to find if water entered through the exhaust?

corvettedude

Seaman
I'm kinda wondering if this oil isnt just getting foamy. I've had a small container of it sitting on the work bench for a month when this happened and it's never separated just looks like a cup of cappuccino lol. When I ran the Mobil I can understand about water not mixing with synthetic but it never "made oil" my level never went up.

corvettedude

Seaman
hey everyone was bored today (since I don't have a functional boat lol). Anyway I decided to go to autozone and rent a compression test thing so I could have some actual numbers to give you guys to see. Got home and done it and the gauge doesn't seem to work. I never held pressure would spike between 120 and 150 on each engine stroke and on each cylinder, but immediately went back to 0 with each stroke of the engine. does that sound like a bad loaner tool ( go figure) or a engine issue making it drop back to 0 each time? Side note the engine was not ran to temp first having a storm here and was just messing around in the garage.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, sounds like a bad loaner tool. There should be a button on it which needs to be pressed to release the pressure. With it not holding pressure, your having trouble building it

corvettedude

Seaman
that's what I was thinking. I guess on a plus note all cylinders seemed to spike about the exact same place lol, of course its really hard to watch that little gauge in the back of the boat while your at the front cranking it lol. I'll get a new gauge and post some numbers.

corvettedude

Seaman
hey guys got some numbers here, I don't know if the cylinder numbers run front to back or vice versa, but the numbers I am listing are running from front to back 1 being the front. 1- 140 2-150 3-150 4-160 engine was cold wasn't able to warm it up first