Water in oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in oil

Hey everyone tis the season lol...Water in oil.. I got a 2007 volvo 3.0 glp-e changed the oil and outdrive fluid last week and fired it up today in the driveway on the water hose and she ran just fine had her running for about 25 minutes and everything seemed cool, but tonight I just checked the oil and its pretty milky usually its so clear you can barely see it on the dip stick. So any thoughts I winterizied her last year the same as I have always had in previous years. How could I go about finding the cause? If I need a new block I would just buy a long block and swap over accessories and put it in myself. I feel bad going to a shop and asking them to check this and that just to say ok thanks i'll fix it myself. Does anyone think they would care I mean of course I would pay for any labor and if it was a manifold or head or headgasket issue i'd let them fix that but with the cheap price of a long block I could just pop it in myself in the event I had a cracked block.

Pressurize the block and listen for the leak. Its probably the block
    Disconnect the hose going from the seawater pump to the thermostat and the hose going to the intake. Seal the ends so it can be pressurized
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

So you think its probably the block? I took the riser off today and will remove the manifold tomorrow and pressurize the block. I ran antifreeze through it like normal last fall. Then I opened the block and manifold drains let it drain then refilled it with more antifreeze and it was in a garage all winter, non heated garage and it really didn't even get that cold around here last winter the winter before last we was sub zero several nights and was good then. when I was winterizing last fall I did have my impellor go out on me I was using one of those jugs you fill with 5 gallons of antifreeze and it suddenly stopped picking any up with about a gallon left in the jug. Could that few minutes of running with no water hurt anything that could cause a water in oil situation. Like cooking the head gasket or something it got warmer then normal got around 210 usually runs like 170. That's when I shut it down after seeing the temp gauge I ran back and seen it was no longer picking up the antifreeze.

Comment

A few minutes (as in minutes and not seconds) of running without water can heat thongs up fairly fast. If the head warped and gasket blew then water can get into the oil, but can also usually see water in a cylinder.

To winterize all the water has to come out first. Drains are removed, and a wire or something else is inserted into the hole and moved around to make sure nothing was blocking the drain (chunk or rust, sand, rock, other). Remove lower radiator hose and drain. Once all the water is removed your winterized, then if you wish, antifreeze can be used at full strength (RV stuff).

Most that use RV pour it into the block at the thermostat, less chance of wear on the impeller
        07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

How did you run antifreeze through it and did you drain it first ? If you did it the terrible way of in through the drive then good chance it didn’t make it through the engine. Especially if the t stat didn’t open. Always best to either just completely drain it all or drain it and fill manually through t stat and hoses coming off it. Including the manifolds, water pump (if on the front) etc.

Comment

i ran it to temp then ran antifreeze through one of those winterizing jugs, then the next day I went out and opened the drain plugs and lossened hoses and refilled manally with antifreeze basically the way you just said I have always done that way I figured the more antifreeze the better. I realize that it waste the 5 gallons I put the day before but seriously what is that stuff 5 dollars a gallon anyone who doesn't have an extra 25 bucks can't afford to boat. Plus I like to refill it with automotive antifreeze for the long haul to prevent corrosion and yes I collect it in the spring I don't let it pour on the groud.

Comment

update on the other situation though, I rigged up a ghetto way of pressurizing my block. I disconnected the t stat hose going to the exhaust and i installed a tire valve stem there to pump air into the cooling system, then on the other t stat hose that goes to the raw water pump i installed a pressure gauge i'll take pics i know its redneck but its holding pressure lol. Anyway I pressurized to cooling system to 15 psi by adding air through that valve stem. I know its going in the block and everything becuase to test it i let all the pressure out by looseing the block water drain plug then refilled back to 15psi with air. Anyhow its held that 15 psi now for about and hour i assume that a good thing right?? How long should it hold that psi to prove no problems? I am going back later tonight when everything is quiet and put my ear to the dipstick and check it over all good to see if i hear air.

Comment

Ok. But did you drain it once up to temp then run antifreeze through ? Good chance you have a weak mix at best if not. Maybe ?

Comment

I have no clue what "drain it once up to temp" means all total the block and manifold was filled and drained 3 times with the 3rd being automotive antifreeze the first 2 that pink ****

Comment

"drain it once up to temp" Drain it after the engine reaches operating temp

It sounds like some area didn't get any or enough Anti-Freeze. Did you drain the Exhaust Manifolds?

Comment

yea I drained the manifold and refilled with antifreeze 3 times. The entire block and manifold were all drained and refilled 3 times with antifreeze. Any idea on the block pressure situation its held 15 psi for over 2 hours, lost about half a pound but one of my fitting has a very small leak. Is this a good sign?

Comment

hey guys its been 8 hours since I filled the block with 15 psi of air pressure it now has 11 pounds and know for sure my homemade redneck gauge lol has a small leak I can't hear but when I spray soapy water on it it bubbles. Would a cracked block or head or head gasket hold pressure like that for that long? Tomorrow I will seal that gauge 100 percent but I believe that's the only place air is escaping? What else could be causing water in my oil? I took off the riser and it looks great. I think I will do another oil change and just see if I didn't just have condensation in my motor. Any thoughts?

Comment

To pressure test all water must be drained. If that is the case then you have a leak which only happens under higher pressures like a head gasket.

Have you looked at the plugs to see if there is any moisture?
                          07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

First of all thank you all dodge. Thanks for all your answers and for following the thread and posting back, I haven't had a chance to thank you yet. I just got home from work and we are having a pretty severe thunderstorm now but I am going head up to check the plugs once this is finished. I believe I got all the water out of the cooling system I drained the block before I ever put air into the system, and to check that my homemade device was working I would pressurize the block then open the block drain plug to let the blast of air escape to to make sure I getting pressure in there no more water came out when I did this. I was thinking a head gasket probably received more pressure than 15psi. Does it seem like my block and head itself are holding enough pressure to rule out cracked block or head i'm going to make my gauge 100 percent air tight and see if I can hold that 15 psi all night long it held it for about 3 hours yesterday before it fell any but like I said my homemade device does have a small leak. I listened through the valve cover last night and dipstick and I heard no air escaping anywhere

Comment

Right now you have something that doesn't happen very often.

Motor running fine and come spring, water in the oil but block is holding pressure. Right now have no idea where the water into the block is coming from
                              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Working...
                              X