• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helm power steering leak - VP 8.1Gi-D

Boat: 2004 Bryant 232 bowrider
    Engine: Volvo Penta 8.1Gi-D
    Drive: DP-S

Noticed power steering fluid leaking behind the steering wheel (relatively small leak). Most of the information I am finding online refer to repairing seals in Seastar systems that have their reservoir at the helm. Mine of course is automotive style and in the engine compartment. It also appears volvo doesnt make the parts that connect to the steering wheel and eventually, the ram?

Thanks for any direction/advice!

Look under the dash and see if you have two hydraulic hoses attached to the helm or a single steering cable. It will only be one or the other.

If you have hydraulic steering there is no such thing as a small leak.

BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Not at the boat now, but found some great info on SeaStar site. I must have rack/pinion as behind the wheel I have something like this: http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...nion-steering/

And I guess this has no fluid in it? In which case, the oil must have come from elsewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by greenhut View Post
        Not at the boat now, but found some great info on SeaStar site. I must have rack/pinion as behind the wheel I have something like this: http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...nion-steering/

And I guess this has no fluid in it? In which case, the oil must have come from elsewhere...
        Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... that's a mechanical rack, 'n pinion,..... No oil used there,......

Comment

Working...
        X