water alarm specs

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
anyone know what temp the sending unit closes on (anti-freeze hi temp alarm)
vp 872066 5.7 gl-e
also why does a fresh water cooled engine use a 160 stat vs 140

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Water Temperature Switch: The water temperature audible warning switch is calibrated to make or break contact at
267° ± 10° F (130° ± 5° C)

your engine uses 160° on both.

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
267 degrees seems awful high for any engine.
this is the temp switch mounted on the engine that turns the overheat alarm on.

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice

I wish I remembered exactly, but i want to say it's right around 190F. If you have it, you can find out for yourself by setting it in hot water and using a multimeter to check continuity between the switch body and the tip. Start around 170, check, raise to 175 and check...etc. You'll definitely be able to tell when it opens up.

muc

Yes I thought the same, but those numbers are a direct quote from the service manual for your engine.
It’s possible they picked a number so high because your engine also has temperature sensors on the exhaust that do a much better job of alerting to an overheat.

muc

Service manual from Volvo for my motor.

Is it possible for you to give me the part number of that manual? It’s at the bottom of every page.
Volvo made more than a few motors with 5.7 GSi in the name. And I don’t remember any motors that used a coolant temperature sensor as low as 200 degrees.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I will get it tomorrow. I have noticed some errors, like only the 7.4 and 8.2 Gsi have the intake air temperature sensor on it, my 5.7 has it. It is a GSIPEFS motor.

muc

Yes I will get it tomorrow. I have noticed some errors, like only the 7.4 and 8.2 Gsi have the intake air temperature sensor on it, my 5.7 has it. It is a GSIPEFS motor.

Thank you for the full model number. With that I was able to get the manuals.
I had forgot about the S.L.O.W. models. Yes you are right about 200° on those, got a horn and RPM limited to 2500
That's why the complete model number, product number or (better for me) the serial number can be so helpful in finding the right info. And as you can see in this situation the difference between carb and efi can be big.

Yes service manuals can have errors and omissions in them. But most of the time dealers get notified about them.

Your engine didn't come from the factory with the IAT (note that Volvo also called it a MAT --- manifold air temperature) that was part of a kit dealers installed on engines that would be operated in very hot/cold conditions. The ECM was sent back to Volvo and reprogrammed and a MAT p/n 3854527 and a harness p/n 3860512 were installed. The dealer that did the work should have added instructions p/n 7797316 to your owners packet. But most dealers threw them away because we found that most of that extra info just confused most customers.

I also seem to remember a kit that would add the exhaust temp sensors to the earlier engines like yours. But can't find anything in my notes about it. Did your engine have these added to it also?

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine didn't have any exhaust temp senders on it. I am the 4th owner so I don't know all the history, only that it was sold in Florida back in 2000. Those IAT sensors appear to be original along with the harness, but who knows. They look stock, not added.

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So can i assume that my 2003 5.7 chevy carbed engine (5.7 gl-e) should have a temp sensor that goes off at about 200 degrees. With a thermastat of 160

muc

So can i assume that my 2003 5.7 chevy carbed engine (5.7 gl-e) should have a temp sensor that goes off at about 200 degrees. With a thermastat of 160

No. Post #2 has the specs from the service manual for a 5.7 gl-e