Power steering woes on 2000 VP 5.7 GSI with DP-Sm

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay when i got the boat the guy told me that a mechanic told him the actuator was bad. I discover the pump was bad in fact it was empty. When i added fluid to it it just came right out the seal, Anyway that is being replaced and i spent the day pulling the actuator. (That was fun). Anyway i was hoping it was the newer one that could be rebuilt. It looks like an older version and i can’t even seem to find a replacement. I would rather not do a used one and find myself back replacing it gain in short order. Anyone have one of these rebuilt or know where a new one could be found? 7DC1EAA9-5A33-4471-A7A7-D286B45F1064.jpeg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Donno 'bout Volvo, but with a Merc, ya just update the actuator to the newer style,......

I Assume it would also be an easy swap with a Volvo,......

jtm3

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Philbert - what did you end up doing? Just pulled mine an have ordered a seal kit for it. Spent a lot of time trying to avoid $700 for a new one. So interested in what others have decided....

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did find a kit to rebuild my style. I just installed it. I am replacing the pump as well. I have not been able to test it because i am going thru everything. I will update once i get it all done nd test it out. Goal is to be done by the 4th of July

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take the actuator to a hydraulic cylinder repair shop. pay them the $75 to change seals

buy an $11 GM saginaw pump repair kit