5.7GSi TBI rebuilt kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So as I was waiting on an inspiration on how to get my front prop nut off I started cleaning. The flame arrestor looks like it has never been cleaned before. Holy crud bucket. Anyway after seeing that I decided I should go thru the TBI. Found a place I can send the injectors to be cleaned but, as for the rebuild kits I only find kits for automotive. I don’t see anything in there that should be marine specific. does anyone know if those “off the shelf” kits will work in marine TBI? I am looking at the kits with the regulator diaphragm,

alldodge

Staff member
waiting on an inspiration on how to get my front prop nut off

Place a 2x4 between prop and vent plate to hold prop, then loosen nut

“off the shelf” kits

The TB are the same, all are for GM car and boat. Cleaning the injectors is good idea, but use a place that does marine injectors. Car places can do them but a marine place will test at high rpms

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Lubak572. I contacted SPRPerf and he helped me order the right kit!!!

i did the 2X6 method and just ended up bending my bran new tool for removing the props. Still stuck! Yikes

alldodge

Staff member
i did the 2X6 method and just ended up bending my bran new tool for removing the props. Still stuck! Yikes

Don;t know which drive you have (didn't mention) but does yours use a cotter pin
Dumb question, but you are turning it counter clockwise?

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It’s a Duo Prop. The rear prop came off no issues. Front prop not so much!! No cotter pins, doing lefty loosey and its not budging.

alldodge

Staff member
Must be rusted, probably has not been removed in a number of years.
Could apply some heat, but would need to be something like acetylene, because propane would take to long and may damage the seal. Your doing it correctly, hope you can get it to budge

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it a 290dp ? Do you mean the large star lugged prop retainer ?
There is a tool for this but a blunt brass dolly and a dunt with a hammer usually gets them. Be certain of the thread direction though.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It’s a DP-SM. I bought that tool before I started. I bent it. I’m thinking the hammer method was implemented by the previous owner and it misshaped the nut compounding my issue. I’m not a big fan of a torch to my drive either. I’m hoping it’s not been that long since that would mean the drive oil is that old as well. B21EC7E3-4A1B-416F-8FA5-F53F3CB29E5A.jpeg It’s a head scratcher for me.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try using a rubber mallet to hammer it forward. Be patient and don’t go wild with it. If it stil doesn’t move, try squirting some PB Blaster on the shaft so it seeps between hub and shaft. Let it sit a while then use the rubber mallet. Make sure you grease the splines when you replace both props!

Status
Not open for further replies.