Water pump bearing and impeller.

Leaky Rear

Seaman
My earlier posts disappeared. Or I can not find them, excuse I am asking twice the same info. Been a while that I have time to work on the boat.

I am needing a new impeller , and water pump rebuild kit for Volvo Penta 305 . Can I rebuild the bearing myself ?
I remember being told if I take the bearing apart if the shaft is grooved then need to replace pump as a whole.

Looks like the shaft needs to be pounded thru the pulley to get bearing out. How hard is that metal , will tolerate get er done type removal?

There was mention on an older post that a bearing rebuild kit includes an impeller.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure this helps but i just got a kit to do the bearing and impeller from Marineparts_pumps. As soon as I get my power steering pump replaced I will be doing this project. (Oh and I need to get that second prop off too) I will let you know how it goes. If I remember I will take some photos along the way. (Not sure if you can wait for me though)

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Yes that does help , thanks for the lead! No hurry on the pics, this I/O boat is my "other project" .
Trying to work the bugs out of my sea-doo at the moment...

I expect the link above post is at marine parts .com (?)
Could not see any numbers on the front or rear of bearing . I may just give them a call and ask.

* I did call , they told me to give the engine serial number to reference the correct part - I have to uncover the boat for the Winter and find that ID plate. Says serial # will be on the motor in several areas, air cleaner - alt bracket and or back of engine..

Last edited:

Leaky Rear

Seaman
In the mean time while I am ordering the bearing, how to remove from pulley?. Do I pound on inner shaft or outer part. See pic

Attachments

• photo312483.jpg
    photo312483.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 0

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Thank you, my motor is not GXi but I think most everything will apply here.on my motor. Too bad I need a bearing puller.
I think I can follow along .

Leaky Rear

Seaman
What did I do wrong? I do not know why the bearing stayed on the shaft. I expect that I will need to use a puller to remove the bearing from the shaft? I thought it would come out along with the housing...

The videos on u tube show the bearing retained in the housing with a c clip. Mine is stuck on the shaft. Suggestions?
Will there be anything keeping the bearing on the shaft?
. Where is the c clip hiding or is there even one on this model . This is a not an injected motor . has carburetor ...

Attachments

• photo312588.jpg
    photo312588.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No problem, it is a frequent thing. My 1999, 5.0Gi was the same.
The bearing will not be reused so just drive a wedge or screwdriver below it to lift it enough to get the puller under it.
On reassembly USE the bearing glue. I'm not sure when they used the circlip or when they stopped using it.
Sometimes the bearing seizes and rotates in the housing making it too slack for even the glue to work! New pump is the prefered solution then!

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Thanks post number 8, gotcha on using the bearing glue. Reminds me of the bearing spinning on the hub issue like on front axle bearing on old cars. Hope I can get it off and get a bearing to fit acceptalbe on shaft. New pump is big bucks so I am told .

Leaky Rear

Seaman
So it finally stopped raining yesterday, I found the ID plate with engine serial number on the motor and next to it was a transom ID number.
I think I am ready to call back Marineparts_pumps to order.

If i am reading and following along correctly - to review - this raw water pump does not retain the bearing in the housing - it is cemented to the shaft that is pressed into the pulley. I should use that glue , should be in the rebuild kit I order.

From what I see I will need impeller # 825940 and a rubber seal with a spring, to mount on the pump housing.And a bearing
Am I missing anything?!
I have a new thermostat . Once I have the pump parts this should go together in an hour or so .

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, do a YouTube search for this procedure. When I was doing my own, I found several different youTube postings that cover it. As I recall the issue of the bearing circlip came up in at least one of the postings. Some pumps have it and others do not. I don’t recall having any particular difficulty removing the bearing from the shaft either.

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Yes the bearing pulled ,came right offf the shaft no problem , they did at auto -zone for free.
Now just a matter of right rebuild kit. Waiting call back form a few online parts places.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try ebay. I found mine there and it included the bearing, seals, gaskets, screws and impeller. Several vendors there offering the kit. You may also find on Amazon

Leaky Rear

Seaman
I have concern of getting the correct kit. When calling the online parts houses they wanted me to specify engine serial number to determine correct pump rebuild kit. Neither of the parts houses have returned calls.

The searches on Amazon show a kit with a c-clip , and on the youtube video the Volvo Penta 5.0 GL -the bearing is retained in the housing of the pump .

On my motor , the bearing is cemented / pressed onto the center shaft of pulley. (n o C- clip) Seeing the kit specified for
  • New Sea Water Pump rebuild kit For Pumps 21214595 , 21214596 , 21214599 , 21214601 How to determine which pump I have? . When I see the c -clip I get a feeling kit is wrong one.
More phone calls , I suppose

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would try the Volvo Penta Store website. You should be able to search based on your engine type and year and it should provide the part number of the pump.

Leaky Rear

Seaman
I was at the Volvo Penta Store website today . The staff admitted to having no technical knowledge of boats . "They just look at the screen". That is fine , I know they tried their best and was appreciate they tried to help look it up.
We could not find the bearing and correct "kit" anywhere , we were on the Volvo website together. Nothing in the exploded parts diagram for the raw water pump kit Volvo Penta 5.0 GL PEFS

No bearing or glue shown in diagram . I want the kit, like shown on amazon, I do not need a water pump for $499.00:facepalm:.
They did not know what to tell me other than take the boat/ pump to a marine mechanic....

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You aren't going to get anything from volvo except a new replacement part. Volvo penta doesn't not sell rebuild kits for any of their parts. All parts kits are going to be 3rd party from Amazon or ebay. I bought mine from marineparts_pumps. What issue are you having? Kinda hard to help without pictures or at least the model of your engine.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is someone on ebay who rebuilds these pumps. Maybe you can contact him and ask him. I suspect that the pump rebuild kits being sold can be used on the pumps that come with or without the circlip retaining ring but don’t know for sure. I replaced my own pump with a brand new one. I think I picked it up for about $200 or so. I did rebuild the one I took off to keep as a spare. Mine did have the circlip as I recall now.