Volvo Penta DP-SM forward Propeller nut Normal or reverse thread?

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a new to me Volvo Penta 5.7GSi with a DP Sterndrive. The nut on the forward prop will not move. The rear prop and nut came right off no issues. I just want to validate that it is not a reverse thread on that nut before I force it. I also think they may have put the nut on backwards. Looking at new nuts on line it looks like there is a beveled edge on the forward prop nut. It looks like that should be facing out (towards the Rear propeller). I see that the nut is also slightly out of round. I am thinking the previous owner may have usd a hammer and some sort of drive to try to loosen it and slightly dented the nut. Anyone familiar with this DuoProp please help me out. Thanks in advance!

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am pretty sure it is a standard nut. I can verify this afternoon.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
THANKS!!! I will try to attache a photo. You can see that on the bottom of the nut its deformed a bit. Not sure if that is my issue. I just want to make sure I am trying to turn it the right way LOL Also is it on the correct way?prop.jpg

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Standard threads.
Bevel faces in.
Looks like somebody didn’t have the right tool and you need a new nut.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. for the response. I am hoping there is a set of new nuts someplace that is reasonable. That's the least of the worry. I have to get it off first!! I have the $35 dollar version of the tool and already bent the rod that is used to turn this darn nut. Still scratching my head trying to figure out how to get it off. The PO's attempt with what looks like a hammer and chisel or who knows what is NOT the way to go. At least they got the nut on the correct way! I guess I can give them that.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need Volvo Penta tool #3855876. It is a heavy duty socket for use with a 1/2 ratchet wrench or breaker bar

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You need Volvo Penta tool #3855876. It is a heavy duty socket for use with a 1/2 ratchet wrench or breaker bar

Yes, that tool should do the job. Or just cut it off with a chisel or die grinder. If I remember right, that nut is chrome plated brass and should be pretty soft. Maybe try scratching it with something and see if it’s brass colored under the plating.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the nut off used about a 3 foot long pipe wrench! The beauty of leverage Now the prop is stuck on. No telling how long they left it on there since the nut was stuck. At lest i am past the nut issue!!