Oil Leak(s) Volvo Penta 5.0

Tnjed

Cadet
Newby here. Just bought my first boat and have it running ok, but noticed significant amounts of oil in the bilge and in the water after pulling the drain plug last weekend. I want to tackle the most critical leaks / issues first so here goes:

Volvo Penta Motor
5.0 FLPHUE (AQ) - product name
4110127197 - Serial number
3868189 - product number

Definitely have some oil coming out of the rear main seal. Visible b/c the flywheel cover is missing.
also maybe a leak at the gaskets at the valve cover.
Most notably, the port side has an opening that looks like it should have a plug in it. I can put the dipstick down to the bottom of the oil pan through this hole. See photo of hole in depression below freeze plug.

When checking the oil down the dipstick tube, it seems clear and maybe overfilled. When I put the dipstick down this hole to the bottom of the oil pan, the oil is dark and noticeably thinner in consistency. Does not look milky, but dark like dirty. Not sure why the oil would look so different down there.

Any advice on the open hole or how complicated replacing the main rear seal would be helpful.

thank you!

Attachments

• photo312058.jpg
    photo312058.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 5
  • photo312059.jpg
    photo312059.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 4

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,........ Welcome Aboard,....... The motor will have to be pulled to change out the rear main seal,.......

That hole is for a block mounted dipstick,.....

You've got a pan mounted dipstick, so, Yes, plug that hole with whatever's convenient for ya,.....

I've seen anything from plastic plugs, to bolts sillyconed in it,.....

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
They make a metal plug for that, I had to put 2 in my new long blocks. You pound them in. I know jegs sells them too.

Tnjed

Cadet
Thanks Bondo and Lubak572 for your replies. I'll get a plug for sure.

About replacing the rear main seal, would it be possible to pull the drive unit / drive shaft and access the seal from the rear w/o pulling the motor up and out?

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Bondo and Lubak572 for your replies. I'll get a plug for sure.

About replacing the rear main seal, would it be possible to pull the drive unit / drive shaft and access the seal from the rear w/o pulling the motor up and out?

thanks

Nope,....... Not near enough space to work in,.....

The flywheel, 'n flywheel cover have to come off,.....