Noisy Intermitent Trim Pump

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
My trim on my 98 4.3gl/sx, with the old style pump, has decided to be less reliable than I want it to be and I want to see if yall concur with my diagnosis before I change anything.

The relays click when toggle is engaged but it takes multiple attempts before trim motor kicks on. When it does work it has become very loud and slow. And the motor casing itself gets hot to the touch.

The fluid is clean, the level is good, and there are no leaks to be found.

I think I will be looking at a new electric motor but thought I would see what yall think. Thank you for taking the time to read through my issue.

alldodge

Staff member
Might need a motor, but I would remove and disassemble the entire unit. Clean the motor up, armature, brushes, other, then clean all the pump parts

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I honestly didnt consider a decent cleaning to be an option. I have a shop manual with a pretty detailed schematic. Thank you for the suggestion.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I honestly didnt consider a decent cleaning to be an option. I have a shop manual with a pretty detailed schematic. Thank you for the suggestion.

Yep. I had a similar problem with my 2000 Seaswirl. The pump was working intermittently, so I disassembled it and cleaned it. It's been working fine for the last three years now.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very cool. I'll give it a shot here soon and post an update on here.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick question... what solvents or cleaning tools did yall use? Did yall just pull it apart and rinse with dextron vi?

alldodge

Staff member
For the pump, use what ever you need to clean it up, dex or other cleaners, then use dex to coat everything during assembly.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you. I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys. I pulled it apart and put it all back together. It worked well for three outings and then stopped working all together. The electric motor is shot. I had picked up a spare pump/motor assembly so I swapped them out.

Now the motor spins great with no drag at all but I am getting no movement from the outdrive.

I thought it could have been air locked so I manually raised and lowered the OD a few times with no change when I closed the manual release and tried to resume normal operation.

Just so I'm not missing something easy... do I add fluid when the OD is in the down or up position?

alldodge

Staff member
Normally, all it takes is add fluid and it will self bleed with several up/down cycles. With getting nothing (and you sure its assembled correctly) then loosen one or two drive cylinder lines (not all the way). Then run motor and see if you can get anything come out

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Metal reservoir when up, plastic reservoir when down.

You didn’t happen to misplace the coupler that goes between the motor and pump did you?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dodge, I am using a completely different unit that's why I'm lost. As far as I know it has never been apart. I'll see if I can purge the system before I swap the old hydraulic pump to the new electric motor.

Muc, i have the old style pump that was also used by omc. All i unhooked was the wiring and the two metal line ends.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wanted to throw this out there but I have about a half inch of play in the rams on OD. This is with the manual valve closed so there really shouldnt be any. Ill find out this afternoon whats going on as long as the rain holds off.

Muc I just understood what you were saying about the coupler. It wont take me long to pull it apart this afternoon so I'll take a look to see if anything is missing.

Last edited:

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I used my old hydraulic pump on the new electric motor and all is right with the world. Something must be wrong with the new hydraulic pump so I will rebuild it and save it as a spare. Just in case.