Noisy Intermitent Trim Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Intermitent Trim Pump

My trim on my 98 4.3gl/sx, with the old style pump, has decided to be less reliable than I want it to be and I want to see if yall concur with my diagnosis before I change anything.

The relays click when toggle is engaged but it takes multiple attempts before trim motor kicks on. When it does work it has become very loud and slow. And the motor casing itself gets hot to the touch.

The fluid is clean, the level is good, and there are no leaks to be found.

I think I will be looking at a new electric motor but thought I would see what yall think. Thank you for taking the time to read through my issue.

Might need a motor, but I would remove and disassemble the entire unit. Clean the motor up, armature, brushes, other, then clean all the pump parts
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

I honestly didnt consider a decent cleaning to be an option. I have a shop manual with a pretty detailed schematic. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jprevat View Post
        I honestly didnt consider a decent cleaning to be an option. I have a shop manual with a pretty detailed schematic. Thank you for the suggestion.
        Yep. I had a similar problem with my 2000 Seaswirl. The pump was working intermittently, so I disassembled it and cleaned it. It's been working fine for the last three years now.
        2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
        1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

Comment

Very cool. I'll give it a shot here soon and post an update on here.

Comment

Quick question... what solvents or cleaning tools did yall use? Did yall just pull it apart and rinse with dextron vi?

Comment

For the pump, use what ever you need to clean it up, dex or other cleaners, then use dex to coat everything during assembly.
              94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
              95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
              07 Seadoo GTX
              Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
              G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Thank you. I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                X