volvo penta 5.0 overheating

sd99

Recruit
I have a 2003 penta volvo, 5.0GL motor, SX outdrive. When out on the lake, towards the end of a long day when everything had run fine, it suddenly got hot and sounded alarm miles from anywhere. I removed the thermostat then and there and it was fine from then on. When back home I put in a new thermostat. Got hot. I was sure I installed the thermostat the correct direction but turned it around to know for sure. Got hot. Tried another thermostat and same thing. As stated before, it is fine with no thermostat. I change the raw water impeller every year and have never had one shed any pieces, and it was pretty new when this happened. Just removed the circulating pump and it turns fine and was not leaking from the weep hole. The pump does not spin freely, it only spins as far as I physically turn it, but there is no grinding or noise. Water is obviously getting from the lake through the motor or it would overheat when the thermostat was out. Any ideas out there?

alldodge

Staff member
The motor is a GL-what (think maybe a D or E)?

Are there any grooves in the pump housing?
Place a piece of clear hose between pump and thermostat housing

alldodge

Staff member
Try the clear hose trick. Can find the hose at the dig box stores, and doesn't have to be high pressure or anything special

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have bubbles in the clear hose, the first culprit is usually the fitting where the hose attaches to the outdrive

also, new doesnt mean good... check your raw water pump