Battery doesn't hold charge

Tanzersailor

Recruit
Hi all. I am getting a 44 ohms resistance between battery lugs (battery disconnected). I followed the trouble towards the trim/tilt area. Any idea what could cause this?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You tried to measure resistance across the battery terminals? Your problem is battery drain, is that correct? How did you determine the trouble to be in the trim area? Are you having any other symptoms? Do you know how to measure amperage? If you have a multimeter capable of measuring several amps you could introduce the meter between the disconnected negative terminal on the battery and the negative lead and check for draw on your battery. Depending on what boat/configuration you have, you could then begin removing components to see what component is causing your drain. Maybe you did this, I can't tell from your post.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
He could just as easily use the ohmmeter he presently has and start removing circuits to see where the drain is at. No need for any current meter set up. And maybe he did that to isolate the resistance reading. Sounds like a resistive short and not a straight short. JMHO

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Shorted windings in the trim motor but it’s isolated from parasitic drain by the trim switch.

Pretty common failure mode for a bilge pump. The circuit is always live

Bondo

Staff member
If you have a multimeter capable of measuring several amps you could introduce the meter between the disconnected negative terminal on the battery and the negative lead and check for draw on your battery. Depending on what boat/configuration you have, you could then begin removing components to see what component is causing your drain.

Ayuh,..... I do this with a $2.00 Test Light,......