trim works intermittently

bcantey

Cadet
We bought a 2011 Stingray 208LR with the V6 4.3 a few months back. It has the Volvo outdrive. Not sure which one but I can find out if you tell me were to look. The trim will work off and on. I've learned if i take a wrench or something metal and tap the pump housing, it will start working again. We'll ride around a while, and it won't work. A few taps, and its good to go. Since I know the housing is just that, and not the actual pump, I'm lost on what I need to do to fix it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can post pictures or videos if that helps. The pump housing is the newer one with the 2 houses coming out of this side and 2 out of the top of the retainer clip.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Does the motor not run, or the pump not pump,..??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Then you have an electrical problem,......

Start at the battery, 'n clean to shiny metal Clean, all of the connections,.......

If that don't fix it, it's probably inside the motor on the pump,.....

bcantey

Cadet
I’ve found both the electric motor and the full pump assembly with motor online. Electric motor is $56, full assembly is $850. I’m wondering if I can get by with just replacing the electric motor and save $800. It’s definitely nothing related in the wiring to the battery, since the problem gets fixed by tapping the housing.

Bondo

Staff member
I’ve found both the electric motor and the full pump assembly with motor online. Electric motor is $56, full assembly is $850. I’m wondering if I can get by with just replacing the electric motor and save $800. It’s definitely nothing related in the wiring to the battery, since the problem gets fixed by tapping the housing.

Ayuh,..... 'n why not Diagnose the issue, before blowin' money on parts that may not be needed,..??..??..??

corvettedude

Seaman
This might not solve your issue, but I thought I would throw it out there. I have a 07 stingray 180 rx 3.0 SX drive, i'm sure you have the same drive. Anyhow I always having an issue where sometimes my boat would randomly trim up sometime with vibration at idle and then I narrowed it down to trimming when turning left at idle. My steering ram was grabing the wire harness for the trim and pulling it and had created a kinked wire and a short there of course where it had pinched it. I know your not having a triming on its own condition but still thought i'd tell ya in case in pinched a wire and created a short there. Hope you find it out be sure to update us if you get a chance.

bcantey

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I have a switch for the trim tabs on the dash, but don't have any on the boat. My guess is they install all of the switches regardless of the actual options you order. I'll look for a pinched wire somewhere. The odd part is the gauge has started not working also.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had same issue. Traced to relays in sockets with corroded terminals. My guess is you have relays somewhere. These are used to reverse direction of the pump motor so they almost have to be there somewhere.