2011 Volvo SX-A Drive Woes

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Iboats! I'm having an issue with a 2011 Volvo SX-A Drive. I'm curious how this bearing carrier comes out. I have service manuals on all of the "other" drives. Most of the information I can gather online is regarding the older SX which unscrew. This one appears to unbolt from the top and the bottom of the carrier and then yanked out with a puller. I've put a tremendous amount of pressure on a bearing carrier puller to the point of breaking. I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right motions in order to get it out. Couple questions.

1. Do I need to split the upper gear case from the lower to pull out the bearing carrier?
2. Are there any special procedures in pulling the carrier out after unbolting?

I've thrown heat with a propane torch around where the O-Ring seal is in the middle of the carrier until it smokes. I've applied all kinds of break away while heating the carrier. Nothing seems to work. This has worked on several Mercruisers in the past so I thought I'd better ask for some advise.

Does anyone have a pdf service manual they can send me?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can view manuals at boatinfo.no you can get manuals direct from volvo penta

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
1. No
2. You pull the prop shaft with a slide hammer and adapter. Bearing carrier comes out with prop shaft.

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1. No
2. You pull the prop shaft with a slide hammer and adapter. Bearing carrier comes out with prop shaft.

Thanks AMTECH. This is exactly what I needed to know. I've made a chain and a puller and will see how it goes. I don't have the adapter for the slide hammer and no time to make one. I've got just about every single carrier puller, screwer, yanker etc. I appreciate your response.

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The pulling contraption worked like a charm. After AMTECH verified for me that this was a "pull out" style bearing carrier and not the "screw in" kind, I put the hammer down on the home made puller. After a heck of a lot of pressure, it popped out as it should. Earlier when I inspected how the gear case was assembled, I thought strongly that this was a slide out carrier. But second guessed myself after having so much tension on it. Glad I have IBoats and you guys as a community to help!