Sx-a trim issues

jimjimmyjam

Recruit
Hello all, newbie here looking for some help. I am a fairly decent do it yourselfer but I think I got in over my head here. I had a small leaky trim cylinder I took off and rebuilt both over the winter. I got the rebuild kit online and it is NOT volvo branded. I just installed the cylinders and slowly had my little helper trim up as I added fluid. Cylinders came up all the way with no leaks and no issues. I put the fill cap on and when I tried to go down the trim motor sounded like it was struggling and the cylinders did not retract. I leaned on the drive and than the cylinders retraced but now one of them is leaking BAD from the top of the cylinder not the hose connections.

jimjimmyjam

Recruit
I removed the hoses on the leaker and the hose fitting on the top closest to the ram was slightly crushed. I squeezed it with pliers hooked it up and she goes up and down real slow and still leaks bad from the top. Can the crushed hose fitting cause the seals to blow out or did I do something wrong?
the boat is a 2014 fourwinns h190 with a 4.3 225 gxi

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know a whole lot about the trim system, but I just rebuilt an SX-A cylinder this week so I'm somewhat familiar with the seals. If the leak is around the rod at the top of the cylinder, then the rod seal inside the cap is not holding. If the leak is around the outside of the brass cap in the top of the cylinder, then either that large o-ring isn't installed or is failing.

The top hose (the crushed one) is part of the low pressure return system so I doubt it has the ability to cause damage to those seals.

I had to take my newly-rebuilt cylinder apart again to check something. It took around 30 minutes to disassemble and assemble now that everything isn't corroded together. Might be worth it to take yours apart and check it out.