Old SX..What to do?

boycec1

Recruit
I have a 99 Four Winns 190 with a SX-M outdrive. This boat has low hours but has sat for 10 years. Looking to get it running and back on the lake this summer. Question is, what should I be looking to do service wise on the drive? I have done the obvious stuff like change the gear oil and grease the zirk fittings but stopped short of pulling the drive.

Is the anything inside the drive that I should worry about inspecting and/or replacing?

Thanks

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
drive is probably good but you should replace the u-joint bellows

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull drive
inspect everything (u-joints, alignment, gimbal, etc)
Install bellows kit

You should be pulling the drive every year for inspection

boycec1

Recruit
Thanks guys, I will put that on the list to do for sure. I have seen a couple writes on these forums on doing that job. The write ups make it seem pretty straight forward, is there anything the first timer should watch out for?

What is a good source for parts for the motor and drive?

boycec1

Recruit
Well thanks to the advise of you guys I removed the drive today.

The first picture you see is a sample of the sludge that is inside the bellow. This stuff is on bellow side of the bearing and on the engine side of the bear. It felt like grit, would old, compromised grease end up looking and feeling like that?

The second pic is of the u-joints. The move freely but as you can see have some rust going on.

I assume this all signs that the bellow needs to be replaced?

What are your thoughts on the u-joints? replace them or just clean and grease?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo311037.jpg
    photo311037.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311038.jpg
    photo311038.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 0

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That looks as if water has got to the UJ, replace it for peace of mind. A rebuild kit is available from most Auto stores. A search on here will reveal all. Check the Gimbal bearing rotates smoothly then grease it well until clean grease comes out whilst rotating it. A new bellows is needed goes without saying, and remove he leg every year to check and buy an alignment tool and use it. Now go and enjoy boating.